• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A visit to a pawn shop and observations on gun and ammo buyers

Klif

Air Force Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
I had occasion to visit with a pawn shop today and was there about an hour and a half. During that time I observed a lot of interesting people come by.

Two young men came in and were looking at pistols. They picked one out and the lady behind the counter took it out, dropped the mag and racked the slide and then handed it to him. He hefted it, turned it sideways and swept the room and everyone in there. He decided he wanted to buy it, they went to the window and the first thing she asked him was if he was 21. Nope, 18. He got sent on his way and told to come back in a few years.

Two more young men came in (they always seem to go to the pawn shop in pairs like ladies shopping for purses I guess). They looked at several handguns and were respectful and didn't sweep anyone. They finally decided on the one they wanted (not one I would have bought but that's just me). Filled out the paperwork and it got called in. They got a call back saying it would take about 35 minutes so they took off to get lunch. Shortly afterwards there was a call back saying "delayed" so she called them up and told them she would call if they got a determination and if she didn't call them they could come back in 10 days and get the pistol. I guess that is standard operating procedure but the lady offered that a whole lot of the request were coming back delayed or denied. Not sure if they paid ahead of not.

A lady came in to sell her pistol. It was a Browning Buckmark. They made her an offer, she took it and walked out with the cash. She did remark that she had a carry permit and someone stole her wallet and when she went to get a replacement they couldn't find her in the system and she was going to have to start over at square one to get a permit again. After she left I asked them how much they wanted for the pistol and the lady just smiled and said "this one is going home with me", so no sale to me.

They had quite a bit of ammo in the case. Not very much factory boxed, but it was priced about 1.50 a round for most calibers. They had loose ammo in plastic bags and it, at least for .223/556 was about 1.25 a round and most of it was odd lots. There was one a guy was buying that said 47 rounds of .556 but it was a mixture of factory .223, .556 and unmarked ammo. If I really needed ammo I would have bought it from them.

A guy came in to pick up his pistol that he won on Armslist. This shop is set up to receive wins like that under their FFL and charged 25 bucks for the transfer. He was quite pleased with his auction win and the transfer process, so if I ever win anything that way I'll use them.

All in all very nice people. They got a really odd group of folks coming and going. Many first timers and many older folks that just came to hang around. It was an interesting bit of time. I left happy with my transactions and got to be entertained during the process.

Wtf are you doing at a pawn shop watching people for an hour and a half? Guess it's slightly less creepy than standing outside of a school playground
Actually I was doing business and moving a bunch of silver and gold so a lot of the time was spent while he was testing and weighing and stopping to wait on other customers. I had only planned to be there a half hour but the gold took a lot longer to test and weigh. When you are standing around waiting and have looked at everything else in the store then people watch is all you have left to do.

If you were in Douglasville I'll bet you were in Double Eagle. Awesome folks.

I swear as I was reading this it sounded just like the place. Then I saw you are from Douglasville.

You think she filled out a 4473? A 10 day wait? I would never go there.

"After she left I asked them how much they wanted for the pistol and the lady just smiled and said "this one is going home with me", so no sale to me."

Back
Top Bottom