• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Tale of Two Crush Washers, or Two Crush Washers One Barrel, and other AR oddities

The instructions I got from CMMG was to shoot a 223/556 round through it after swapping the bolt back in order to BLOW OUT any carbon. That's seems to work well as I've never had any issues over the years.

It wasn’t carbon……it was lead. No way that shooting 5.56 ammo was going to blow compacted lead out of the gas tube. The owner fired multiple rounds before he brought it to me, and it didn’t make any difference.

It’s possible that the barrel had a rough gas port, which stripped lead from the .22LR rounds, which caused the issue. What works, or doesn’t work, in one gun doesn’t always apply to another.

Not my pic, I took it from another group I belong to. Definitely a curious one, and I wanted to share how the manufacturer, Moriarti Armaments, mishandled the situation.

As you can see, this bolt carrier is bent up towards the tail. The carrier will not seat in any of the multitude of uppers it was tried in. It is was not damaged during shipment, nor by the purchaser.

In addition, the rear gas key screw backed out at much less than half the required torque. The gas key screws were mismatched, and on one the head was chewed up when new.

At first, Moriarti Armaments was going to refund the purchaser 77% of his purchase price (restocking fee?). Eventually, they refused to take it back at all. I have seen the full copies of the email string back and forth between the purchaser and CS at Moriarti Armaments.

Every company makes mistakes, it’s how they handle them that shows how good they are. This is a fail.

FAD884CD-21A9-4788-8052-C1DFC20F926D.jpeg

Not my pic, I took it from another group I belong to. Definitely a curious one, and I wanted to share how the manufacturer, Moriarti Armaments, mishandled the situation.

As you can see, this bolt carrier is bent up towards the tail. The carrier will not seat in any of the multitude of uppers it was tried in. It is was not damaged during shipment, nor by the purchaser.

In addition, the rear gas key screw backed out at much less than half the required torque. The gas key screws were mismatched, and on one the head was chewed up when new.

At first, Moriarti Armaments was going to refund the purchaser 77% of his purchase price (restocking fee?). Eventually, they refused to take it back at all. I have seen the full copies of the email string back and forth between the purchaser and CS at Moriarti Armaments.

Every company makes mistakes, it’s how they handle them that shows how good they are. This is a fail.

View attachment 3672201
That's ****ty as hell, especially considering there's no way to blame that on the customer.

Bolt catch on the left is standard milspec. The one on the right is a Geissele Maritime.

Notice on the Geissele, the “leg” that is engaged by the magazine follower is broken off. This means that the bolt won’t lock back when the magazine is empty.

The Geissele unit is brand new, and came out of the factory packaging this way
F30210F1-D7BE-4210-B435-EF37E156A55B.jpeg

The area where the broken off piece was attached is coated in the factory finish. This means that the part broke during the manufacturing process, went on to be coated, passed final QC, and was sent off.
84C103CC-762A-4CA5-A9F1-4BE76525630C.jpeg

It doesn't matter really who the manufacturer is something will slip through the QC process no matter how meticulous there process is. Human nature is just not all together all the time.

Not long after Geissele released the Maritime bolt catch, reports started rolling in of parts breakage under use. Geissele removed the item from the market until they could improve it. They did so, and all seemed well.

Recently, reports are once again rolling in of current manufacture Geissele Maritime bolt catches breaking.

MIM works for some applications. It's quite possible that it isn't the right manufacturing technique for this part, or something is wrong with the process they're using, or with their material, or some combination thereof, or something that I'm not thinking of.

Issue I ran into last weekend assembling my LMT lower. Notice the first pic then the second. I installed the safety detent, spring and grip and had no clicks, just a free spinning safety. Grabbed another lower I had laying around and had no issues. After some investigation I found the safety detent hole would not let the detent in far enough to engage the safety, as seen in the pics. I crossed my fingers and oiled it tapped it in with a hammer and punch, lightly. After some work, it's now functioning properly. It won't be staying as it's gritty and mushy and I'll more than likely polish the detent bore with a small brass bush in my drill before I install the new one. All factory LMT components.

Attachments

• 20211120_145147.jpg
    20211120_145147.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 20211120_145215.jpg
    20211120_145215.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 38
Not long after Geissele released the Maritime bolt catch, reports started rolling in of parts breakage under use. Geissele removed the item from the market until they could improve it. They did so, and all seemed well.

Recently, reports are once again rolling in of current manufacture Geissele Maritime bolt catches breaking.

MIM works for some applications. It's quite possible that it isn't the right manufacturing technique for this part, or something is wrong with the process they're using, or with their material, or some combination thereof, or something that I'm not thinking of.

Good to know as I have one sitting on my workbench right now waiting to be installed

This thread has convinced me to never buy a home built upper and to be more paranoid when I inspect my new guns

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom