• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Cowboy Coach

Shooting went about as expected. A number of additional jobs were uncovered. 25 small shot hunting loads fired and 15 rounds of high brass 00 buck.

Nothing broken....good.

Gun locks the hammers back each time its broken....good.

Gun misfires most times on the first shot....bad. Might be the lighter Wolf main springs, or might be firing pin protrusion....either should be fixable.

New plunger needs shortened just a tad to easily extract shells....easy.

Rear trigger needs just a bit of reshaping....better finger fit.

Action bite settled in from 5 oclock to 6 or 630...I expected some set and there may be a bit more. The pore barrel bite has been so abused. It'll likely be fine and I doubt I'll do further work on the fit of barrel to action. Its about as good as it'll get.

The recoil, even with full loads of buckshot ain't too bad....good.

Trigger guard tang feels good under the fingers...good.

And breaking the old gal down for post range inspection,

The top tang split clean off. Combine that with the lower tang crack repair, and I have to concede defeat. Its been a fun project and lots of learning but sure nuff, this one is just plain tired.

So, I suppose I'll have to call it a parts gun. Lots of good stuff there and perhaps parting it out will aid several other old gals in getting spiffed up.

Here is the very disappointing failure of the upper tang.

i.imgur.com_cvaD7lh.jpg

And breaking the old gal down for post range inspection,

The top tang split clean off. Combine that with the lower tang crack repair, and I have to concede defeat. Its been a fun project and lots of learning but sure nuff, this one is just plain tired.

So, I suppose I'll have to call it a parts gun. Lots of good stuff there and perhaps parting it out will aid several other old gals in getting spiffed up.

Here is the very disappointing failure of the upper tang.

i.imgur.com_cvaD7lh.jpg

Oh man, I hate it for you I really do.

Yep, its very unfortunate. But, this one wasn't in a condition to allow test firing before getting some repair work done. The work was good and a good teaching opportunity and the old gal has literally worked her butt off. First one in 36 years that I had to set down. Loosing integrity across the full tang was totally unexpected. With luck, there won't be another one in 36 more years that has to be set down. Now its a parts gun and in all, that ain't such a bad thing, several shotguns will benefit.........I'm already lookin!

Disappointing to not be able to see you take it to completion - but we still have this great thread to learn from the master. Looking forward to your next project!

Back
Top Bottom