• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A Cautionary Tale

alabamafats

Default rank <50 posts Supporter
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
A CAUTIONARY TALE -

OH PAUSE AND LISTEN, ALL YE NEW AND OLD, AND TIRED COLLECTORS....

Of a tale of greed, stupidity and plain old dumb. Perhaps it will save you some frustration, and some cash as well as preventing feelings for extreme embarassment.

To begin: I have been in the market for a Randall Made Model 24 Guardian with Ivorite handles for some time that I wanted to have scrimshawed with some flowers and birds as part of a gift for my wife, who believe it or not has her own Randall collection occupying a shelf of my gun safe. Anyway - I posted on the OTD site and someone whose information I have lost in the cyber world somewhere. The kind member referred me to an address in (I think) South Carolina with the email information.

Well of course I immediately sent an email asking of the person had a Randall Model 24 Ivorite?

Yes! Certainly, brand new and $450. Naturally the inner fool immediately said yes thank you and how do you want me to make payment? Answer was – only PayPal Friends and Family system. Knowing full well there was no recourse for help or recovery of loss using that method I jumped on it and instantly agreed. You may have noted here that the inner fool, motivated by the usual collector fever, greed and stupidity had fully taken over.

The email I was dealing with was “bryanaaron877@gmail.com” but PayPal wouldn’t recognize that. “Bryan Aaron” said the wasn’t listed with PayPal anymore and I sould try “reapersrealsteel@gmail.com”. I also received a request for payment from “Jeffrey Fielding.” The $450 was apparently delivered to “Jeffrey Fielding.”

When I asked for shipping data I was advised by “Bryan Aaron” on 22 March that he would try and make the shipment on Wednesday (27 March) on his was to work.

As you might perceive by now – (I was beginning to myself) that things might not be going as well as I had let myself hope.

Of course I have heard nothing from Bryan Aaron, reapersreelsteel, or Jeffrey Fielding since I made payment and was informed of the planned shipping date. No contact from the several emails I have sent and not much hope left.

Another expensive lesson learned and another dumb act to live down. I did find another Model 24 on ebay with a real dealer and honest person. Now I am on the search for an artistic scrimshander. Anyone got any suggestions? Thank you’all – I just wanted to put this on the record since there dosn’t seem anything else I can do

Best Regards alabamafats

A CAUTIONARY TALE -

OH PAUSE AND LISTEN, ALL YE NEW AND OLD, AND TIRED COLLECTORS....

Of a tale of greed, stupidity and plain old dumb. Perhaps it will save you some frustration, and some cash as well as preventing feelings for extreme embarassment.

To begin: I have been in the market for a Randall Made Model 24 Guardian with Ivorite handles for some time that I wanted to have scrimshawed with some flowers and birds as part of a gift for my wife, who believe it or not has her own Randall collection occupying a shelf of my gun safe. Anyway - I posted on the OTD site and someone whose information I have lost in the cyber world somewhere. The kind member referred me to an address in (I think) South Carolina with the email information.

Well of course I immediately sent an email asking of the person had a Randall Model 24 Ivorite?

Yes! Certainly, brand new and $450. Naturally the inner fool immediately said yes thank you and how do you want me to make payment? Answer was – only PayPal Friends and Family system. Knowing full well there was no recourse for help or recovery of loss using that method I jumped on it and instantly agreed. You may have noted here that the inner fool, motivated by the usual collector fever, greed and stupidity had fully taken over.

The email I was dealing with was “bryanaaron877@gmail.com” but PayPal wouldn’t recognize that. “Bryan Aaron” said the wasn’t listed with PayPal anymore and I sould try “reapersrealsteel@gmail.com”. I also received a request for payment from “Jeffrey Fielding.” The $450 was apparently delivered to “Jeffrey Fielding.”

When I asked for shipping data I was advised by “Bryan Aaron” on 22 March that he would try and make the shipment on Wednesday (27 March) on his was to work.

As you might perceive by now – (I was beginning to myself) that things might not be going as well as I had let myself hope.

Of course I have heard nothing from Bryan Aaron, reapersreelsteel, or Jeffrey Fielding since I made payment and was informed of the planned shipping date. No contact from the several emails I have sent and not much hope left.

Another expensive lesson learned and another dumb act to live down. I did find another Model 24 on ebay with a real dealer and honest person. Now I am on the search for an artistic scrimshander. Anyone got any suggestions? Thank you’all – I just wanted to put this on the record since there dosn’t seem anything else I can do

Best Regards alabamafats
Oh, sir, I'm so sorry that you came across an unscrupulous neverdowell in your quest to please your lady. Hopefully you will be successful elsewhere. Meanwhile, may the rascal that caused your vexation suffer mercilessly from the attentions of our many stinging beasties inhabiting our fair lands.

The user rating system tries to address that, but even then its not fool proof. We had a similar issue on the muzzle loading forum, the solution there was to have everyone take a photo with a handwritten paper displaying username and current date. At least then you can confirm they have the item, still not a 100%. I'm sorry to hear about your experience!!!

Back
Top Bottom