A big question

You can save money reloading, if you are shooting 20,000 plus rounds a year. You have to be ready to buy in bulk when you find a deal on components. Cabela's had CCI primers for sale a couple of years ago, bought 32,000 in one shot. If you are not willing or able to drop a couple of grand when there is a sale, you will not save money by reloading.

If you get insanely lucky? You might find some primers for $35 - $55 per thousand right now. CCI 41s are selling for more than $100 per thousand on gunbroker this week and it's only going to get worse. People seem to forget 2013, when fixed ammunition skyrockets in price, components skyrocket in price.

i paid $1300 for my dillon 650. all set up with the bells and whistles. With 9mm alone, it paid for itself in 22,000 rounds. would be even less than that now with how much factory ammo is.

I am reloading 9mm for .09 each x 7,000=630
Factory ammo currently is .30 each x 7,000=2100 $1470 difference.

In todays market, it would pay for itself in less than 7,000 rounds...thats insane. thats maybe 8 months of shooting.

i paid $1300 for my dillon 650. all set up with the bells and whistles. With 9mm alone, it paid for itself in 22,000 rounds. would be even less than that now with how much factory ammo is.

In todays market, it would pay for itself in less than 7,000 rounds...thats insane. thats maybe 8 months of shooting.

IF you find components priced reasonably. I started with a rock chucker. still use it for precision rifle. I now use a dillon square deal b for pistol. you will never stop buying **** for reloading. got tired of corn cob/walnut, went stainless. built an annealing machine...it is a bottomless pit. and your friends will want you to load **** for them. I haven't bought factory ammo for 5-6 years. stock up hard when it is cheap.

I purchased a Dillon 550 new a couple of weeks ago. Got it the way I wanted it with everything. Purchased a lyman case trimmer, Redding dies for the socom and Dillon for everything else. Quick change caliber kits, etc..., etc... I know I have spent well north of $2k. But, I have everything I need to load thousands of rounds.

find someone that will show you the ropes before you buy anything. now the big problem is there is no primers/powder to be had. if you did not buy powder/primers long ago and stock them deep you are now out of luck. it is going to be that way until after the election. if the election goes to the dems then there will nothing to buy and when you find any the price will too high.

started reloading in 73 on a single stage press. still got it as a backup. over the years i have gotten many new and improved reloading items. there is all ways something better,,, some times. dillon 550 in 82 was a big improvement over the single stage press. now i use the 550 for pistol and a rcbs rock chucker for rifle. started casting bullets in 82,,, that is and other rabbit hole to go down.

lots of people want to start reloading, but if you don't shoot a lot the start up price of reloading is not worth the money when you can use that money to buy ammo. that is when ammo prices are normal.

Start with a single stage press and try to fully comprehend the functions and hazards in each step. RCBS, Lee, Hornady...etc all have starter kits with the manual, scale, and other basic tool sets. Learn to take off and land before you try barrel rolls or spin recovery.
I still own and use an old Lyman Spartan Single Stage.

I've taken it a step further and cast my own 9mm and 45 caliber bullets. The savings start stacking up quickly now.

Reloading really shines towards savings when you are loading high dollar ammo for a fraction of factory prices.
460 S&W
300 WM
375 H&H
458 WM
To name a few that I load...the big bores are up to and over a $100 a box of 20.

Back
Top Bottom