• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

7mm RUM

GTN

Wolf Icon Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Alright guy's I need a load for a 7mm RUM. I tried 90gr of RL-22 with 140 gr nosler BT and Fed 215 primer and wasn't satisfied.

Wasn't satisfied in what way? Seems like a thin skinned bullet for high speed.

My experience with Ballistic tips on game @ higher velocities hasn't been good?

I use a lot of Reloader powders with excellent results in most cases. ( I made a pun without even trying! )

Did you do much experimenting with it? Different seating depths, + or - a bit on the charge too?

Wasn't satisfied with the group. I agree the ballistic tip bullet is not a well suited bullet for this cartridge due to the higher speeds. I did try different seating depths, charges ect with the RL-22 and 140 BT. I am thinking RL-25 or H-1000 and 160 gr accubond or something similar or maybe a Barnes triple shock. I have had excellent success out of the Barnes @ higher velocity's.

I have a friend that swore by the Hornady 162's for elk and muley's.

I know you aren't likely to shoot one in the RUM caliber that much, but I just have an
aversion to the cost of super premium bullets for my hunting.

I've had excellent results with the Sierra Game Kings. I've had some of my best 200 yd and under
groups using the Pro Hunter flat based bullets. I don't have anywhere to zero beyond 200 now,
and I rarely shoot at deer any further.

My experience has been better with flat based bullets at normal ranges of around 200 yds?

Good luck with it, CD.

I have never used it buy maybe try Hodgdon Retumbo. I have had very good luck with some other Hodgdon Extreme powders and from some other reviews I have heard Retumbo is universally a good powder for large magnum caliber like Varget is for standard rifle calibers.

I found the load that I was looking for. 95gr of RL-25 Fed 215 primer and 140 gr Barnes Tipped Triple Shock done the trick. 3 shot group in the pic, this load produced this group 4 times on different days.

Attachments

• 7mmRUM.jpg
    7mmRUM.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 24
the whole ballist tip speed thing is bullhockey. ive pushed literally thousands of 208amx out of 300wm at 2850 to 2930 with ZERO issues. and great group 7rum is a beast you manage it well

the whole ballist tip speed thing is bullhockey. ive pushed literally thousands of 208amx out of 300wm at 2850 to 2930 with ZERO issues. and great group 7rum is a beast you manage it well

When did Nosler start making a 208 AMX Ballistic Tip? Not once did I mention Hornady or any other brand of plastic/polymer tipped bullets, only the Nosler. All polymer tipped bullets aren't Ballistic Tips. I believe Nosler has that trademarked?

Why would I lie about my experience with the Nosler Ballistic Tip not working well at high speeds for me? When pushed hard they have shattered upon impact on deer in 100 yd range. I experienced it with .277 140's and .308 150's. They both completely shattered. It turned the inside of the animal into a gritty mess. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to load them properly?

Just because you have had good results with whatever brand of polymer tipped bullet it is that you're shooting doesn't make what I typed any less true? If you read my post concerning their performance I specifically state in my post that it's my experience with the Nosler Ballistic Tip. Nothing concerning any other brand. I ain't one to shovel she-ott that I've heard from others as my own experience. I also know better than to question someone else's experiences with any product with statements like "that's bull anything?"

Just asking that you give others the benefit of their own experiences being different from yours without questioning the validity of their statements. Also pointing out that all poly tipped bullets aren't Ballistic Tips.

CD

Back
Top Bottom