• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

700 sendero weatherby mag help

I've had the same gun and cartridge. Use the Ruger designed rings for that gun. If gun isn't designed for those Ruger rings and base, then go Leupold. I use a VX3, 3.5-10x-40mm. But you could use a straight 2-4x-20mm. I'd use at least a Leupold VX3 scope. I don't know if they still make all these products, but I've never had a problem with them. You're not going to really get more than a couple hundred yards range with that cartridge as it's designed for close up devastating power. As far as recoil, lean into it before you squeeze the trigger. And make sure to pull it hard into your shoulder. Keep your elbow down close to your torso. If you hand load, you can tapper that cartridge to whatever you need. The down side is that with that short case, you have to use a fast burning powder. Which isn't conducive to reduce recoil. You can also use a lighter bullet, which will help. But if you're going for big dangerous game, you need to use factory ammo designed just for that. Remember, your life is on the line. But if you can't shoot it without flinching or can't hit what you're aiming at, you need to go to something smaller. The 458 Win mag has @ 100lbs of recoil. A 416 Rigby would be @ 80 lbs. The Rigby would have better distance qualities as well. If that is too much, then a 375 H&H. It has @ 60 lbs of recoil and is the least you can use for dangerous game in some countries. To put that in perspective, a 308 or 3006 would be @ 20 lbs. Also the 416 or 375 seems to be a better brush gun in my experience. And by the way, make sure you have enough eye relief on that scope. If you don't, you'll likely be needing stitches
Thank you for the advice friend. Luckily I’ve learned to shoot my 458 well much like what you have suggested. I will add a 375 H&H to my collection if I can ever find a good one…not because I need it but because growing up reading outdoor life and Jim Carmichael I was fascinated by Holland and holland. Which is very much why I bought my 300 weatherby mag that I need scope advice on! I admit my weakness is buying guns I don’t “need” haha….but damn I enjoy it!

Thank you for the advice friend. Luckily I’ve learned to shoot my 458 well much like what you have suggested. I will add a 375 H&H to my collection if I can ever find a good one…not because I need it but because growing up reading outdoor life and Jim Carmichael I was fascinated by Holland and holland. Which is very much why I bought my 300 weatherby mag that I need scope advice on! I admit my weakness is buying guns I don’t “need” haha….but damn I enjoy it!
That 375 makes a great brush gun. Get you another Ruger #1 in that also. I had a 375 and a 416 Rigby in bolt actions. Every time you shoot it, it pushes the bullet in the case. So by the time you get to the last round, the bullet is inside the case due to recoil. And it didn't matter if it was a reload or factory ammo. Affects accuracy. So a single or double rifle is the way to go there. Double rifles last I knew start at @ $5k so the Ruger is a good buy

Trust me I’ve got my eyes out! I love no 1s. Got a nearly new 1981 .22-250 a few months ago that shoots 1/2” groups with my eyes!
That 458 shot one hole groups at 100yds. The 375, not so much. If I'd had my druthers, the 458 would be a 416 Rigby. Better distance with less recoil. But when you have something that shoots that good, it's a keeper. No questions asked

Back
Top Bottom