• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

700 sendero weatherby mag help

ga.southern.eagle

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
8   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have a new used rem 700 sendero in .300 weatherby magnum. I have a set of Leupold standard long action bases and rings but according to them anything .300 win mag or higher requires the dual dovetail bases and rings due to recoil. Has anyone used the standard bases with success? And if not does anyone want to buy mine lol. Thanks and happy new year!

No reason the Leupold STD rings and bases won’t work. I’ve never seen those rings lose position on the base.
Thanks!! That’s kinda what I thought. I’ve got them on most of my rifles and never had an issue. I’m not going to be shooting hundreds of rounds with it but want to make sure I can sight it in and know it stays that way.

If it's the standard Leupold mounts I'm thinking of, they screw and lock in place on the base. Next you want a good scope that'll keep zero. Also I use the blue Loctite on all mounting screws

If it's the standard Leupold mounts I'm thinking of, they screw and lock in place on the base. Next you want a good scope that'll keep zero. Also I use the blue Loctite on all mounting screws
This is what I’ve got. I’ll definitely use Loctite and I can use any advice on a scope. I love Leupold but if there is a cheaper alternative with good reviews I’m willing. Thanks!
IMG_2115.jpeg

This is what I’ve got. I’ll definitely use Loctite and I can use any advice on a scope. I love Leupold but if there is a cheaper alternative with good reviews I’m willing. Thanks!View attachment 6728011
That looks good to me. I'm having to go by memory and it's been quite a while. I've used single rings on African game cartridges with no problems. What kind of distance and target size are we talking about?

I’ve got a No 1 .458 win mag (unscoped) for my African game. maybe I’m weak but with 500 gr bonded it kicks like a mule on steroids so I’ve never trusted my eye with a scope. I’m planning on using it out west so I’m thinking a 3-12x40 or 50 range would be good. My eyes aren’t the greatest anymore so I love magnification…but my weatherby mag is pretty stout so eye relief is important. I really appreciate your help.
That looks good to me. I'm having to go by memory and it's been quite a while. I've used single rings on African game cartridges with no problems. What kind of distance and target size are we talking about?

I’ve got a No 1 .458 win mag (unscoped) for my African game. maybe I’m weak but with 500 gr bonded it kicks like a mule on steroids so I’ve never trusted my eye with a scope. I’m planning on using it out west so I’m thinking a 3-12x40 or 50 range would be good. My eyes aren’t the greatest anymore so I love magnification…but my weatherby mag is pretty stout so eye relief is important. I really appreciate your help.
I've had the same gun and cartridge. Use the Ruger designed rings for that gun. If gun isn't designed for those Ruger rings and base, then go Leupold. I use a VX3, 3.5-10x-40mm. But you could use a straight 2-4x-20mm. I'd use at least a Leupold VX3 scope. I don't know if they still make all these products, but I've never had a problem with them. You're not going to really get more than a couple hundred yards range with that cartridge as it's designed for close up devastating power. As far as recoil, lean into it before you squeeze the trigger. And make sure to pull it hard into your shoulder. Keep your elbow down close to your torso. If you hand load, you can tapper that cartridge to whatever you need. The down side is that with that short case, you have to use a fast burning powder. Which isn't conducive to reduce recoil. You can also use a lighter bullet, which will help. But if you're going for big dangerous game, you need to use factory ammo designed just for that. Remember, your life is on the line. But if you can't shoot it without flinching or can't hit what you're aiming at, you need to go to something smaller. The 458 Win mag has @ 100lbs of recoil. A 416 Rigby would be @ 80 lbs. The Rigby would have better distance qualities as well. If that is too much, then a 375 H&H. It has @ 60 lbs of recoil and is the least you can use for dangerous game in some countries. To put that in perspective, a 308 or 3006 would be @ 20 lbs. Also the 416 or 375 seems to be a better brush gun in my experience. And by the way, make sure you have enough eye relief on that scope. If you don't, you'll likely be needing stitches

Back
Top Bottom