• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

7.5lb Venison Haunch Roast

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
85   0
Reaction score
Never tried a venison roast this big before. Usually use these cuts for other things like biltong etc but it had to get out of the freezer. But, this turned out amazing so will be doing it again. Was kinda scared of this roast as it was off a pretty old buck and I took it in a different spot than my usual so it took a little while to get to processor. With this recipe I needn't have worried.

7.5lb bone-in venison haunch. Did a 24hr brine. Used the "Meater Eater" dudes recipe. Will post below.

Then pulled out the roast, did a rub of olive oil, bacon fat, sage, basil, oregano, thyme, salt, black & white pepper, 1 tbsp dark sorghum syrup, garlic powder and onion powder. And then stuffed every crevice with chopped bacon and sprinkled some on top because bacon.

Put in a roasting dish on a bed of celery, onion and carrot.

Cooked in oven at 425 for 20 min then reduced to 350 for 1hr 40min. Made a basting sauce of garlic, butter and beef stock and doused it (1/3 a normal cereal bowl) 3 times. Took it out and removed roast from pan to rest for 30.

In a big pot I sautéed up some baby portabella's in butter, garlic and parsley. Then I added 3 cups of beef stock, 2 tomatoes and all the drippings and roasted veg from roast pan. Used an immersion blender to make into a fantastic thick gravy. No need for thickener.

Made some potatoes and green beans to go with it. When I carved, I put into a dish and covered with the hot gravy to get the temp up a hair on the center of the roast.

Screenshot_20230527_195841_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230527_195850_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230527_195857_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230527_195901_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20230527_195905_Gallery.jpg

In a big pot I sautéed up some baby portabella's in butter, garlic and parsley. Then I added 3 cups of beef stock, 2 tomatoes and all the drippings and roasted veg from roast pan. Used an immersion blender to make into a fantastic thick gravy. No need for thickener.
I am 100% stealing this. :hungry:

Oh, I forgot. I also put a tablespoon of dark sorghum syrup in the rub. I'll fix it in original post.

Cook time used was 20 min high (425) then 15 min per 1.1 lbs at 350.

Back
Top Bottom