• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

69gr. OTM from RMR with Varget powder

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
I found some load data in AR-15 forum. One guy said he had excellent results with 25.5 gr. of Varget with these 69 gr. projectiles. Anybody else have good results with this bucket and Varget. Just would like some additional input on the matter. I have a few hundred bullets from RMR coming and just trying to get some good, tried load data. This BA Hanson barrel shoots most all ammo fairly consistent and I have heard a lot about Varget and have just know been able to find some in the shelf after many months of hunting for it.

I have done some more reading and on Defiance long range forum it seems that Varget is the go to fuel for most competition shooters. So I think I might have stumbled onto the answer to my own question. They like it for bullets 62gr. and heavier. I heard another loader stating around 25 gr. of Varget seems to be the consensus with this weight projectile, among a lot of long range shooters in the competitive seen.

Never had any real luck with Varget in
223. H4895 is my "go to" especially for 75-77 grain projs.
same on varget in 223 for me. my goto is a lot of 8208 pulldown from the late 70s or early 80s...not the new 8208xbr(it works too.)

this pulldown powder has some sort of mean ass flash suppressant in it. no flash from an 11.5" AR.

For my bolt 223 I use imr/h4895 and get sub moa results with 77 tmk/hpbt . Have used varget and not sure I can see much difference if any in my AO 223.
Now for my ar with 26’ barrel I prefer AR Comp.
Allthough varget is king in my 308.

Well heck, I have been reading Varget was the powder. I think I have some 4895 as well. I guess I will work up 20 of each and just see what one works the best in my barrel. Either way I heard it works for 308 as well. 8208 is like finding hens teeth right now. My 6.8 absolutely loves 8208 XBR but be darned if I can find any. If you guys get a line on some please let me know. PLEASE!

Looks like Hodgdon themselves are listing 8208 XBR as "Unavailable", so I guess you'll have to raid a reloader or find an alternative.

I did come across what might be a useful site: https://www.shootingbot.com/
I did score one pound a month or so ago but I am already down to half a bottle so I am on the hunt. I have been trying but to no avail. One member offered to sell me one but he wanted 85 bucks. I almost paid it until a friend came off a pound for me. If I knew a couple years ago was going to be all this I would have bought two 8 lb jugs.

Interestingly, I had good luck with that bullet and 21.1gr of Benchmark. Grouped really well out of my bolt gun with 22" barrel.

Back
Top Bottom