• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

556 LEAD FREE SLUG INFO

Sorry, but it is. We developed weapons and systems for the DOD.
Explain.

The primer is not corrosive. Nor is the powder. The brass case certainly is not. Neither is copper, or steel.

I know that under the right conditions, copper imbedded into a barrel and left for long periods of time can create corrosion, but that is not corrosive ammo. That's poor maintenance and certainly not specific to 855a1.

Why would the Army specify an anti-corrosive coating for the exposed steel tip (assuming to prevent rust or corrosion) of the bullet but the overall cartridge is somehow corrosive to the weapon firing the round? Are you saying the round uses corrosive primers or propellants?

Why would the Army specify an anti-corrosive coating for the exposed steel tip (assuming to prevent rust or corrosion) of the bullet but the overall cartridge is somehow corrosive to the weapon firing the round? Are you saying the round uses corrosive primers or propellants?
Corrosive priming compounds for pistol and rifle ammo haven't been used since the 50s in the U.S. (I know you know that Palmetto, not trying to correct you)

Corrosive priming compounds for pistol and rifle ammo haven't been used since the 50s in the U.S. (I know you know that Palmetto, not trying to correct you)
I'm aware of that. 1953 is the last year we used corrosive elements in primers in military cartridges IIRC. I'm questioning the earlier assertion that M855A1 is somehow corrosive.

Back
Top Bottom