• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

45-70 for deer?

What do y'all think about a Henry 45-70 for deer?

I'm new to deer hunting and will be going out with my FIL this season. So, out of my current rifles, the only 2 that I think would possibly be okay for deer are either my Henry 45-70 with XS rail and Leupold 1.5-4x28 IER Scout scope in Leupold Quick Release QWR2 rings. I also have a Henry X in 44 mag but it is irons only at the moment. However, I plan on adding the XS rail and optic soon.

I know both will take deer but I'm curious if there are any negatives to using the 45-70 or 44 mag?

Also, do you think more magnification would be better, or is the 1.5-4x sufficient?

EDITED to add shots will be within 60 yards.

I'm not against picking up a bolt action 308 or 30-06 and may do that anyway... but if I can save money and just use 1 of the above Henry rifles (even if I need a higher power scope) I'd rather do that.

View attachment 6283654
Perfect woods gun. I have one that I use in the woods but it’s a CVA Scout 2 single shot. Killed a couple with it including this buck

Attachments

• IMG_0355.jpeg
    IMG_0355.jpeg
    283.6 KB · Views: 7
New to the 45/70 but not to deer hunting. I’m supposed to be picking this new Ruger/Marlin up from Barrow guns in the next couple of weeks (layaway). I’ll be keeping it just irons for this season as I won’t have any shots past 60-70 yards where I hunt except for in my pecan orchard. I might go with the same optic that you have next season to answer your question on if it’s enough magnification. I’ll be using either Hornady leveroution 325gr FTX’s or HSM 405gr hardcast. I plan to put it about 6 inches behind the shoulder on a broadside shot. Will probably lose the ribs shooting this cannonball of a round but that’s MUCH better than losing both shoulders. With that nice scope of your’s a neck shot should be no problem which is my preferred shot for a quick humane kill with no tracking. Good luck to you this season!
View attachment 6283678
Fine gun. I use those 325 Leverevolution myself. Thinking of trying to find some of those ghost 250 grain Leverevolution thought to increase the distance of shot. Furthest shot and kill for me was a doe at about 85-90 yards. Neck shot and DRT

45/70 is my “go-to” deer rifle unless I’m hunting a area that i will be making long shots. Less damage to the deer then a conventional high powered rifle since the bullet is going slower it doesnt have the “shock wave” effect on the deer meat. It just leaves a nice hole lol.
I’ve got the same gun with a Sig Sauer Whiskey 3 Hellfires scope

What do y'all think about a Henry 45-70 for deer?

I'm new to deer hunting and will be going out with my FIL this season. So, out of my current rifles, the only 2 that I think would possibly be okay for deer are either my Henry 45-70 with XS rail and Leupold 1.5-4x28 IER Scout scope in Leupold Quick Release QWR2 rings. I also have a Henry X in 44 mag but it is irons only at the moment. However, I plan on adding the XS rail and optic soon.

I know both will take deer but I'm curious if there are any negatives to using the 45-70 or 44 mag?

Also, do you think more magnification would be better, or is the 1.5-4x sufficient?

EDITED to add shots will be within 60 yards.

I'm not against picking up a bolt action 308 or 30-06 and may do that anyway... but if I can save money and just use 1 of the above Henry rifles (even if I need a higher power scope) I'd rather do that.

View attachment 6283654
hunted plenty of deer with a Marlin sgbl.. its perfect for deer.
some will say its overkill ( as they tamp a bullet into their .50 cal muzzle loader)
my 308 does more meat damage, and does not always knock them flat. i have noticed that the round does not expand as much in a deer. but its big enough it does not really need to. i got one a couple of year ago and the the exit was not much bigger than the entrance. but the exit had lungs coming out of it...
so for what it counts, use it. you could call it my opinion, but as opposed to "thinking its too much" i have had personal results and they have all been good.....

I personally wouldnt use a 45-70. Just not enough mass, good bullet construction, or KE to ethically take a deer.
thats kinda like saying " i wound never run over someone with a semi" (the truck, not the other one) its just not fast enough "i only use Ferrari's";):boink:

Back
Top Bottom