• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.44 Special Platform Help!

BackWoods

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
132   0
Reaction score
Hey There,

I Was looking at getting some sort of .44 bulldog chambered in .44 Special. Anyone had any experience with this cartridge? I do know, I'd like one with a stainless steel finish. I'll add the rubber grips later(to hang on to that cannon!). I've been reading up and have read such companies as Charter Arms and Rossi. Any Help Would be Great! Thanks Ya'll!

Jon

Why don't you look for a .44 Magnum platform instead? That why you can shoot both the .44 Special and the .44 Magnum. I can recommend a Smith & Wesson 29 or 629.

This, Get the best of both worlds. I had a charter arms. Its was a good piece BUT I love my smith and wesson 629. Its much better built then the charter. Plus .44 special can sometimes be hard to find. I buy .44 mag at walmart and many other places.

Agreed with Soviet.

Not only that, a .44 Special is hardly a cannon. If you are expecting that, prepared to be disappointed. Go full house rounds of .44 Mags and that'll start you off in the hand cannons. Still not satisfied? Big daddy .500 S&W will do the trick lol.

Don't let them sour you on the 44 special too quickly. A carry gun in .44 special is going to be smaller AND more controllable than what you can get in 44 mag. And unless you are trying to shoot two people with one bullet I don't believe a 44 mag is going to stop someone much better than the special.

To me the ultimate 44 sp. carry is the S&W 296. An l-frame "hammerless" revolver. However it did not get made much and they are pricy (2x the price of a S&W pocket 38 special)

As to the price of ammo, plinking ammo is non-existant. You'll have to reload. However if you are looking for SD ammo it costs no more than other calibers. (e.g. Midway Hornady Critical defense for .45 is more expensive than .44sp.)

As metioned above theres plenty in the .44mag Platform to be had. The ole .44mag Charter Arms Bulldog is as good a carry as there is. I don't carry .44mag but I shoot plenty I have a .44mag Ruger Super Blackhawk and a .44mag Montana Marshall and shoot lots of .44 special through them both, if I want Full Power mag loads I have that option.

Back
Top Bottom