• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

44 magnum primers.

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
I seem to see some people recommending magnum large pistol primers and others stating that regular large pistol primers are fine(not that I can find any of either). Any opinion on this? I intend to use faster burning powders in these loads for subsonic loads with low muzzle pressure, so they won't be juiced up loads with tons of powder. I ask this because I'm buying components as I see them become available and don't have a powder yet to match to a manual recipe. Also while I'm here. What manual do you reccomend so I don't trust internet posts where people quote manuals.

Last edited:
You need to get a good reloading manual and go by it. Some powders need magnum primers and some don't.
I have never used magnum primers in my 44mag loads using 2400.
If you use magnum primers I think you need to reduce the powder charge.

I use Winchester large pistol primers too. They work great with hard to start ball powders.

They're also at home in the mildest .45 Colt or ACP loads.

When touching off a case full of W296/H110 I want predictable ignition.

Following published data may not be popular with as many folks as it once was, but I like to stay as close possible to the manufacturer's components as possible.

I may substitute a CCI 350 with a Winchester WLP, but I've not had the urge to use standard primers at magnum pressures.

I haven't been put in a position to need to substitute rifle and pistol primers and such either.

I use an older Hodgdon, #26 I think and Lee's 2nd edition load manuals for a lot of my handgun data.

There's lot's of good info in the Speer, Hornady, Sierra, Lyman, and other manuals too.

The bullet manufacturer's data is my recommended and primary source of most data.

I always wonder, why not use magnum primers when you can? If the load calls for them, maybe you won't need as much powder as you would with standard primers.

If the two primer types of primer cost the same, I'd take the opportunity to use a few tenths of a grains of powder less, by sticking with the magnum primers to save a little powder.

Back
Top Bottom