• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

41f and Persuant Kerfuffle

rOmiLaYu

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
245   0
Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled some and the din is fading...

What's the big deal?

I know, I know. It's a hassle and I get that...but what's the big deal? If you're in the NFA game, you're not one of those "I don't want to be on a list" people, so why all the clamour? The only reason that I established a trust was to have multiple, lawful owners of NFA weapons and to secure a way of my children inheriting them on a Form 5. So now I have to run my prints and get a photo every two years (or less frequently if I buy something every 2 years and nothing changes)....I just don't see it as "the end" for the NFA stuff like some are predicting. It has nothing to do with "gun laws" and is not, in any way, restricting access. I'm sure some will say that it's a slippery slope or that it's one more incursion...but when you reach the level of NFA ownership, I don't think that kind of argument holds much water, seeing as how you've paid to play the game.

It's more of a pain in the butt and hassle. If you want to buy another NFA item you have to subject every trustee to that (potentially, up for debate). And isn't it 41p?

It's more of a pain in the butt and hassle. If you want to buy another NFA item you have to subject every trustee to that (potentially, up for debate).
I guess I just don't understand why that wasn't the case to begin with. Agreed, it's a pain, but it seems consistent.

And isn't it 41p?
It was 41p when it was proposed but now that it is finalized, it is 41f.

If the notifying CLEO becomes needing CLEO approval that may be a pain in the arse. Thats about my only issue.
Given that the ruling for individuals seems to acknowledge that CLEO approval is too stringent, I find it hard to believe they would reverse and go the other way.

Although, CLEO notification is better than CLEO approval, it does make we wonder what the process will be for CLEO notification and what CLEO's will be required to do with said notification.

If the notifying CLEO becomes needing CLEO approval that may be a pain in the arse. Thats about my only issue.
My issue is more of what is the CLEO going to do with your submission (copy of the form 1 or 4 or 5320.23). If it's added to some form of data base then they would have a LOCAL data base immediately available of what everyone has. Not cool.

I guess I just don't understand why that wasn't the case to begin with. Agreed, it's a pain, but it seems consistent.

It was 41p when it was proposed but now that it is finalized, it is 41f.

Makes sense on 41f. I agree it's consistent to have a background check on all trustees, but they're acting like that's why people got trusts in the first place. It was for (1) CLEO approval (hassle) and (2) legality of spouse and other family members being in possession of NFA items in my case.

I hate to agree with any additional requirements for anything gun related but Romi is right. Its not terrible. If anyone is concerned with getting co-trustees to get their prints done it shouldnt be an issue if they are using the goods. And if they are not using the goods, like my wife, then remove them from trustee to beneficiary or altogether off the trust.

My issue is more of what is the CLEO going to do with your submission (copy of the form 1 or 4 or 5320.23). If it's added to some form of data base then they would have a LOCAL data base immediately available of what everyone has. Not cool.

And having that might save them what a day? A week tops? Its not like NFA items are already registered.

Makes sense on 41f. I agree it's consistent to have a background check on all trustees, but they're acting like that's why people got trusts in the first place. It was for (1) CLEO approval (hassle) and (2) legality of spouse and other family members being in possession of NFA items in my case.
Of course, vilifiers gonna vilify...but with all the poo being flung, I suppose I've become immune to the smell and just carried on in spite of it.

Back
Top Bottom