• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.40 S&W Reloading Question

deerslayer357

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
16   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a quick question about reloading .40 S&W.

How many times do you reload your brass before you toss it?

I buy factory rounds, fire them, then reload/fire them twice before tossing them in the recycling pile.

If it helps, I am shooting a S&W M&P 40.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I will reload them until the get dented or damaged. or i loose them on the range. as long as there not dented or damaged ill trim them and load them. Thats just me tho.

Like anything else, how hot you load them will have a direct effect on longevity. Some firearms are rougher on brass than others too.

With any watch for cracks around the case mouth, primers that seat too easy, and on autoloaders cases that have been beaten so short they may not properly headspace.

I've got some .45 ACP brass that's been loaded at target velocities so many times that I lost count a long time ago.

Use your fingers as well as your eyes to detect stressed cases and chunk them.

Last edited:
I used to shoot a boatload of 40 when I shot Limited division. 8-10 loadings was pretty common and that using a Lee U-die.

I bulk reload my .40 cal on a LEE Progressive 1000 and use light loads. Boz is right on the money with 8-10. It all depends but after 10 I recycle them anyways.

Okay thanks guys!

I have ~200 pieces of brass that have been fired 3 times. Was just wondering how many times most people load them.

I have been loading 150 grain JHP over 8.5 grains of Blue Dot. Max is 11.0 grains, so they are pretty mild.

The brass looks fine, just didn't want to push the envelope and wind up with a problem.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom