• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

38/357 powder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisto5

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
4   0
Reaction score
Question for those much more experienced in reloading than I am. I have been reloading for .308 and recently decided that I wanted to put the money savings towards shooting my wheel guns, but have ran into a problem. Digging through my reloading manuals it seems that the powders that could be used for both 38 special and 357mag are, you guessed it, impossible to find. The ones that really stuck out to me were unique, Blue Dot and Bullseye. Is there maybe a powder that I have looked over that could be in stock somewhere, or is powder interchangeable for these calibers nonexistent right now? Any input would be AWESOME as I would like to start making my own revolver rounds to get them out to the range more often!

I have been reloading 38/357 for several years now. I don't think there is a magic powder for both power levels. And there really is no need for there to be one truthfully. That's really a compromise that doesn't need to be made IMHO. One is a low-pressure round that works well with fast-burn powders. The other is a high-pressure round that thrives on slower burning powders.

For 38 range loads, I really love Accurate #2. Very acccurate and pretty clean. Bullseye is nasty stuff...not fun cleaning the gun after a range trip with Bullseye rounds.

There is a ton of powders that work well for 357.

If you want one that straddles the line and can be used in both 38/357 - take a look at Hodgdon HS-6. Problem with that powder is it will not run clean at low-pressure levels, but is only a mild-to-middle 357 velocity when loaded up. And even in 38's it likes a magnum primer to light it off and burn it cleanly. But it rocks for 38+P loadings...nice and hot, and burns cleanly as well.

Hope that helps...

Well there are several powders out there that will work for both calibers, Heck Unique will pretty much load anything from a 410 shotgun to a 16 inch gun on a battleship!
the thing is that you are looking at the same projectile in 2 different very different guns/cartridges.
The lowly 38 Special is SAAMI rated at 17, 000 PSI, the 357 magnum at 35,000 PSI or over twice the pressure.
so very different powder burn rates/density.
Now if you are going to down load 357 mags, well why not just shoot 38's, and if you are going to push 38 specials (plus P) then why not just shoot mild 357's?
you can't get top notch power levels in a 357 with any powder that is going to also work in the 38 Special standard loads.
I agree get 2 different powders or settle on mild 357's.
hope this helps.

Well there are several powders out there that will work for both calibers, Heck Unique will pretty much load anything from a 410 shotgun to a 16 inch gun on a battleship!
the thing is that you are looking at the same projectile in 2 different very different guns/cartridges.
The lowly 38 Special is SAAMI rated at 17, 000 PSI, the 357 magnum at 35,000 PSI or over twice the pressure.
so very different powder burn rates/density.
Now if you are going to down load 357 mags, well why not just shoot 38's, and if you are going to push 38 specials (plus P) then why not just shoot mild 357's?
you can't get top notch power levels in a 357 with any powder that is going to also work in the 38 Special standard loads.
I agree get 2 different powders or settle on mild 357's.
hope this helps.

Why anyone would load .357 to .38 special velocities makes me ponder a bit.

I just shoot .38's in my .357 for light plinking loads but when I want to see some prairie dogging on the indoor range I stuff some stiff .357's pushing max loadings. Seems a waste not to.

Faster burning powders like AA#2 range work better in shorter barrels such as snubby .38's. For .357's in 4-6+ inch barrels I like a slower powder like AA#9 and H110. Drop hammer on a max load of that stuff with a 125 grain bullet traveling around 1,600 FPS is a real treat.

Last edited:
Why anyone would load .357 to .38 special velocities makes me ponder a bit.

I just shoot .38's in my .357 for light plinking loads but when I want to see some prairie dogging on the indoor range I stuff some stiff .357's pushing max loadings. Seems a waste not to.

Faster burning powders like AA#2 range work better in shorter barrels such as snubby .38's. For .357's in 4-6+ inch barrels I like a slower powder like AA#9 and H110. Drop hammer on a max load of that stuff with a 125 grain bullet traveling around 1,600 FPS is a real treat.

Brass issues, commonality of ammo, pure cussedness? :-)

I use W231 and W296 both for .357, W231 only for .38 Special.

Just my 2 cents.
1,000's and thousands of .38 bullseye loads for my own use.
Unique , h110 , 231, 296 and 2400 for heavy cast and jacketed loads.
I don't want to even think of less than the top 3 on hand : bullseye, unique and 2400.

Titegroup for .38 and lighter projectile .357 loads. Will get you around 1500 fps with 125's in the .357. Plenty of data for lead also. Start low and work up carefully.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I can see now that wanting the same powder for both is a amateur misconception/hope. I guess I'll be pouring over the manuals again and just settle on the fact that I will be getting two different powders. Any other advice keep it coming y'all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom