• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.308 LC vs commercial brass question

Russell0331

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
I usually load my 155 Sierra Palmas behind 45.5gr of IMR-4895. I have some LC brass that I would like to load with the 155's. I know that the volume capacity of LC brass is less than commercial. Where do I find starting and max load data for LC brass? I've scoured the internet, but I've come up lame. I've heard that a general rule is reduce by 1.5gr and again by 10%. Can someone share their experience with loading LC brass?

If you have a specific load, then it was worked up to using specific components.

45.5 grains of 4895 may not react the same in the LC as it does in Federal or Winchester brass anyway. You'll want to watch for WCC milspec brass too. I've found especially in handgun calibers it's of a considerably heavier construction than commercial brass.

Even from the same manufacturer, rarely are two batches of brass identical. That's why the benchrest folks are so anal about using the same lot of each component when working up or reproducing any load.

Uniform the length of your brass, then measure the internal capacity. See how much water it'll hold compared with what you've been using. You'll know the difference then.

I haven't looked at the numbers you've listed, but if you start low and work up you may find an even better performing load using the LC brass.

Many modern manuals have a section dedicated to service rifle loading. Generally this section will be very informative on such milspec components.

Back
Top Bottom