300 wsm?

Boogerhook

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
31   0
Reaction score
Thinking about getting a new Savage bear hunter in 300wsm.I'm curious about other's experiences with this cal. on deer.Savage used to make a rifle in standard calibers with all the bells and whistles but its no longer available.From what i've seen, you get get a little more performance than an 06 from the same amount of powder with a similar bullet.Any advice is appreciated.

The WSM is a quite capable round. I've had several of them in the past that performed well.

It is a magnum though, like it's longer brother it uses a shovel full of slow burning powder and needs at minimum a good two feet of tube to burn it all in.

The downside to the WSM's comes into play if you want or need to shoot longer bullets. Their short case isn't conducive to boat tail bullets much heavier than about 165grains. The longer heavy bullets just eat up a lot of space that could be used for powder.

It's a fantastic cartridge...far superior to the 300winMag. Chuckdogs point about seatin depth is spot on though, so if that doesnt bother you go for it.

awesome for sure. only draw back for me is the price of ammo. mine was a browning a-bolt stainless. sometimes wish i still had her but oh well. another day=another trade

Back
Top Bottom