• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30.06 for M1 Garand? Easy to Reload?

I have to throw in the statement that right now may not be the best time to start reloading. The cost of supplies are coming down but still high and are still hard to find. Primers are like hen's teeth!! I will give another vote for the Rockchucker, but for cost savings, you could look at a complete Lee setup for about the price of just the Rockchucker press. I used a Lee press for 45 years and when it finally wore out and parts dried up, I bought the RCBS to replace it.

WARNING:

M1 Garands have a very long operating rod which can be bent or broken if the ammunition is either
--just too powerful,
or

--has too sharp of a pressure curve ( in other words the pressure spikes too abruptly early in the firing cycle.)

Some commercial hunting loads that work fine in bolt action rifles can damage an M1 Garand, and the same thing applies to 308 Winchester anmo fired out of a Springfield M1A or M-14.

WARNING:

M1 Garands have a very long operating rod which can be bent or broken if the ammunition is either
--just too powerful,
or

--has too sharp of a pressure curve ( in other words the pressure spikes too abruptly early in the firing cycle.)

Some commercial hunting loads that work fine in bolt action rifles can damage an M1 Garand, and the same thing applies to 308 Winchester anmo fired out of a Springfield M1A or M-14.
Man, ain't that the truth. Over the years I have seen a couple of beautiful M1s ruined with "high power" ammo.

For several years I have been loading a 150 grain FMJ bullet with 50 grains of IMR 4895, That is supposedly the original military load for the M1. The data came from Department of the Army Technical Manual 43-0001-27

Man, ain't that the truth. Over the years I have seen a couple of beautiful M1s ruined with "high power" ammo.

For several years I have been loading a 150 grain FMJ bullet with 50 grains of IMR 4895, That is supposedly the original military load for the M1. The data came from Department of the Army Technical Manual 43-0001-27
AHH The recipe...I have been wondering what folks like to use.

Most reloading manuals have a section specifically for the M1 Garand, I did use Varget for years before finding the recipe in that TM. Before I started using that load, I contacted Hodgdon to see if the formula for IMR4895 had changed and they told me that it had not changed in 50 years.

Back
Top Bottom