• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.223 Reloading

SimsDelt

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
6   0
Reaction score
I bought my father in law all the dies and stuff needed to reload 223 for me (he already reloads .40). A few quick questions... I know I want to do 55 grain target bullets... but what size do I need to get? I can't find .223 projectiles... just .224. And what is a cheap projectile... this will just be for plinking. Do .223s use small primers? I already have the brass and the trimmer needed.

Also... what is the powder I need to buy for him. Again cheap... just looking to make the cheapest round possible for plinking. If I was long ranging it this would be different... just need to go boom and hit clays at 50 yards.

I've used H335 and 2230. Of the two, H335 got better results, but I haven't really worked up exactly the right load yet. Got a jug of CFE223, which they say is a lot like H335. There are a bunch that will work in .223, so get a list of possibilities and then just go see what's in stock somewhere. Keep in mind that your loads are going to be around 25-27 grains, depending on what you work up, which powder, etc...in a 1lb bottle, that's only about 280 rounds give or take.

Yes, small rifle primers...again, if you can find it in stock, get it, whatever the brand.

Back
Top Bottom