• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

223 For Deer?

.223 is just fine with deer, I started out with my grandmothers ruger 44 mag carbine and shot many deer with that caliber, I knew not to shoot over 100 yrds but to this day I'd still take it. If the little one gets a shot on a deer that round will do its job.

I have killed three deer with my .223. One was a head shot-DRT. Two were body shots and both of them dropped in their tracks. I used Barnes TSX 55 grain. A well placed shot with a .223 will put them down.

My nephew killed a couple deer with his .223 when he was a child. Both were right at 100 yards. True he made good shots, but I still recommend a more suitable caliber for deer. .223 can do the job but it is pretty small for deer. You should definitely get some deer rounds. I shot my first deer at 9 with a .243 Model 7.

go for it. I have killed several deer with .223 rem. My daughter shot her first last year with a .223, and it went about 30 yards.
It may be better to seek the reduced recoil for the .243 and 260. If you hand load like I do just make your own reduced recoil. My oldest daughter as shot a .308 win since she was 9. I reduced the loads to about the equivalent of a .357 and worked up from there. She is perfectly comfortable with a full charge .308 win now at age 13. start them off easy and work up, and they will shoot great. Let them shoot what is comfortable to them. I have seen so many dads at the range letting their kids shoot way too much gun and the kids develop very bad habits. Mainly flinching. I also found some targets that were basically a picture of a deer (archery targets I think) so I could so them exactly where they needed to hit the deer. Your going to be amazed at how exciting it is to see your kid get there first deer. Good luck

There is a reason they call a 22mag the "poachers rifle". A 223 is plenty for GA deer. I do not understand why so many think one has to kill a goat with a cannon.

Not so much the round. People using varmint bullets on deer isnt a good idea. Proper bullet and shot placement it will do the job.
Thats it. Most 223 ammo that isnt FMJ is some kind or varmint load that wont penetrate deep enough on a chest shot. "Deer" loads are out there, theres a reason its legal for deer in Ga. You just dont have the margin for error like the more powerful stuff.

Back
Top Bottom