.223 AR-15 vs. 7.62x39 AR-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
What are the pros and cons versus these two? Is the 7.62 AR as accurate as the .223? How about reliability? Feeding and such? Thought I would ask the experts on here!

I have seen some of the 7.62X39 ARs achieve accuracy with cheap ball at 100 meters that is on par with 5.56, even seen a few groups that would be enviable by all but the most neurotic accuracy nuts. That said as far as feeding and magazines go you are at an extreme disadvantage with 7.62X39 when looking at what you have for the 5.56. Whatever you may be able to save in ammo you have going to spend in mags and hassle trying to get them to work. Basically if you want 7.62X39 look at an AK, though I personally have been eye balling one of the PTR rifles chambered in 7.62X39 that takes AK mags. If you want 5.56 an AR15 platform will work well for you.

I know the AR-15 platform very well, carried it for 10 years in the military. However, I like the round of the 7.62x39 much better. I know bushmaster makes an AR chambered in 7.62, but I have heard years ago they had feeding problems, but have it worked out now.

I had a Colt AR15 in 7.62x39. It was extremely difficult to find mags for it. They were no longer on the Colt web site. Many of the aftermarket suppliers said they carried it and when I ordered they showed out of stock. I finally ordered one from an aftermarket supplier and they were never delivered nor charged my credit card. I finally sold the gun.

Yeah, I just did a quick check through a lot of my own suppliers for gun parts, ammo, and mags and none of them had 7.62X39 AR mags in stock. I have seen them before here and there, but never really gave them much mind. The main issue you are going to walk into with them is that there are very few rifles that are in the AR15 platform that are chambered in 7.62X39 so few manufactures are making mags for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom