• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22 target ammo capability

Lightning8

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
171   0
Reaction score
I shoot PRS22 with a RimX custom - 22 target ammunition capability is important to me. Yesterday I shot some Norma TAC-22 seeking a "more available" 22 competition practice ammo (normally use SK Standard +). Five 10 shot groups at 100 yards (bipod and bag off bench) with TAC22 (at least this lot) yielded about 2.5ish inch groups with 5 shots reasonably close together (1.5ish inch) but 5 flyers opening up group (I was chronoing and you could see five shots with similar velocity and 5 shots with extreme variations of velocity high/low). Five 10 shot groups at 100 yards with SK Standard + yielded groups 1ish wide and 1.5ish tall consistently.

The March NRL22 COF has an engagement "89 yds: 2” on a single hanger" for example.

What 22lr ammo does the group use to consistently hit a 2" target at 89 to 100 yards?

I've found (unfortunately as it's rarely avail) SK Standard+ to be about the best for tight groups at 100 yards, then Wolf Match (also rare as hen's teeth now).

Have you tried any of the premium Eley offerings? Eley Club in the orange box is quite good, I shoot a LOT of that from bolt action match rifles.

Oddly enough, the standard velocity White & Yellow box Aguila performs best in my Mossberg 44US trainers. The premium stuff is no bueno.

When groups really matter, I weigh each individual cartridge and put them with like weight ones. The correct ones are usually a bigger quantity, I shoot those and relegate the off weight ones to the kids pile of plinking stuff.

And that SV white and yellow Aguila has been my go to and available for the last several years.

When groups really matter, I weigh each individual cartridge and put them with like weight ones. The correct ones are usually a bigger quantity, I shoot those and relegate the off weight ones to the kids pile of plinking stuff.

And that SV white and yellow Aguila has been my go to and available for the last several years.
It's inexpensive too.

I've seen .22 rimfire benchrest shooters even measure the rim thickness and sorting by that value.

I’d rate TAC22 and CCI SV in the same boat good to 100 but will have fliers and it opens up past 100yds even more. If you are wanting to compete in PRS you’re gonna need better than that to shoot 300+ yds. You can do everything right positionally and trigger pull but if the ammo can’t make the shot you’ll never hit your target.

SK is right in the middle tier and prolly most used that’s why it is less available.

Eley Tennex is less affected by temp changes than say Lapua offerings but both jump up in price for low ES and low SDs helping your vertical strings.

You just have to decide what you’re willing to pay to play the game and be at the mercy of QC from manufacturers.

I do compete in PRS22 and understand the demands of the sport specifically on 22 ammo. Hoping to get some better insights on which specific 22 ammo to consider.

I have no experience with RWS (except rebranded Tac22), Eley, and others.

CCI SV and Norma Tac 22 are not up to competition capability. Jury still out on Norma Match.

SK Standard + seems to be a minimum standard. My B14R LOVED SK Biathlon but it is faster than SK Standard + and other common competition 22 ammo so drove me nuts at matches as my dope was different than everyone else. SK Pistol Match Special seems to be similar in performance to SK Biathlon.

"You just have to decide what you’re willing to pay to play the game and be at the mercy of QC from manufacturers." Actually, match directors and others who develop rimfire course of fire are driving the sport as they develop COF that only a few 22 ammo examples can meet.

Which leads to my original question: The March NRL22 COF has an engagement "89 yds: 2” on a single hanger" for example.
What 22lr ammo does the group use to consistently hit a 2" target at 89 to 100 yards?

Maybe we can develop a list of 22 ammo that can hold 2" consistently at 89 yards (or 100 yards) and yes there will be good lots and bad lots but if buying what is on the list?

Sk standard is about the minimum. I have had some outstanding lots of it but even the not so great ones I’ve seen would stay under 2” at 100 yards. Typically what you are paying for when you go up in price is more consistency (lower sd/es and less wtf moments). I’ve seen great results out of lapua pistol king as well which I thinks is Lapua’s lowest grade. I’ve been running Eley for a while now and anything with the EPS bullet (team, match, tenex) has worked really well for me. Eley does give you different issues from feeding to reliability firing in Rimx’s and Vudoo’s but once you get the kinks worked out it’s hard to beat. Being able to order different lots of Eley to test before you buy a large quantity is awesome instead of buying random lots of other ammo and hoping for the best. If you want to shoot lapua get on the list to send your rifle to the test center and buy a case of what works best. Shoot and be happy until it runs out.

All that to say about any sk (standard, rifle match, long range, lapua, or Eley will work but everything is rifle dependent. I want my 10 shot groups to stay under an inch at 100.

Just read you didn’t like the faster ammo because your dope didn’t line up with everyone else. Stay away from Eley then until you can accept having less drop than everyone else 😂
I have more confidence in my dope and Kestrel now but was scary as a new PRS22 shooter when your dope was always different than all the cool kids!

Back
Top Bottom