• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

22 mag shooters, step inside

outlaw1961

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
86   0
Reaction score
I am considering getting a 22 mag this week. Have many 22 lr’s and one 17 hmr. Below the three I am considering.

Henry small game rifle- has peep sights but hard to find rifle in stores.
Ruger American go wild predator - like the color combo
Ruger precison - handled one today - most forums talk about either it will group good or not. Luck of the draw
From what I have been reading on rimfire central no 22 mag will ever group as good as a 22 lr or 17 hmr.
anybody own one of the above in 22 mag?

I don’t own any of those three but I do own a few others and I love 22 mag. My favorite one I own is a Marlin 883SS. Have killed ALOT of tree rats with that lil hammer. I can put some great groups together 100yds and in. Beyond 125 yds you are pushing the capability of the round. 17 is lighter/faster but I prefer heavier bullet so 22 mag it is for me

My 883ss
677632CF-962A-4BB7-9AE4-69DC2B188B8F.png
5901FF31-F718-4EBC-A838-0F5C7F27C827.jpeg

I own 5 or 6 rifles in 22 Mag. I have found that they are all kinda picky on ammo. Brands and bullet weights.

After experimenting I have been able to get all of them close to MOA. Except the Keltec CMR, more like 2 MOA.

I did have a 10/22 Mag that had 5 barrels, one was a 17HMR. Had to get it dialed in with brands on it, but the Mag was close to it accuracy wise.

I have a 22 magnum automatic and it shoots okay but I really wanted a 22 mag bolt gun and I refuse to pay six or seven hundred dollars for a rimfire firearm. I don't know call me stingy or just not that much into rim fires that I would want to spend that kind of money. I saw a Savage Mark 2 at Walmart and it was only 237 bucks. It has a wood stock and a bull barrel and a 4 lb trigger right out of the box. It is the most accurate 22 magnum I've ever owned and I've owned five or six of them and they didn't shoot anywhere near this accurate. It shoots less than dime-sized groups at 50 yards and that's about the maximum distance maybe 75 yards this is the only gun that's been that accurate that I would try it 75 or 100 yards. But if you can find one I would highly suggest you giving it a chance. It's a Savage Mark 2 22 mag I'll take a pic of it. I loaded the stock down with true oil to make it glossy but other than that I haven't done anything else to it. I was overwhelmingly surprised at the accuracy this gun can achieve. These are groups shot at 50 yards off the bag and as you can see they're quite tight. These were shot with 45 grain Winchester dynapoints. Very inexpensive ammunition for 22 mag and I'm sure it has a lot more if I can find just the right ammunition. See if you can find one and I would suggest trying that first because it's very inexpensive and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The bull barrel is key here but the rest of the gun is an absolutely just a remarkable performer. I'm going to bed the action but I'm not sure if it can get any more accurate than it already is but before I got a chance to do that I got a 1911 I'm working on right now but I plan on betting the action and doing a couple of other accuracy tricks to it to see if I can approve on what is already an unbelievably accurate 22 magnum. At 230 semi dollars you can't lose. I put an old vintage Redfield 2x7 scope and it shoots lights out give him a look if you can find one they're pretty hard to locate. It's a model 93 Mark 2 some of them come with the accutriggers but this one doesn't but at 4 lb right out of the box and it's perfect like it is.
16788305919065880172738621641975.jpg

This is a target that I just set up willy-nilly at 50 yards and shot off the bag on a not a very stable platform. You can see where the shots ended up but the two little groups in the middle that are real close together those are what it shoots like now that I've got it dialed in. A dime will cover up that three shot group. Actually one of the groups is about six shots and the other one I think is about four shots. Both the targets are the same one but the other shots are not flyers those are the ones that took me to get it on target the group The Target on the right was a group of four shots and then the one in the red is about five or six shots I can't remember but it put a couple shots through the same hole. That's not a big Target either I think that whole Target is about 8 inches by 8 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_20230216_173642026.jpg
    IMG_20230216_173642026.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20230216_173610863.jpg
    IMG_20230216_173610863.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 12
I have a 22 magnum automatic and it shoots okay but I really wanted a 22 mag bolt gun and I refuse to pay six or seven hundred dollars for a rimfire firearm. I don't know call me stingy or just not that much into rim fires that I would want to spend that kind of money. I saw a Savage Mark 2 at Walmart and it was only 237 bucks. It has a wood stock and a bull barrel and a 4 lb trigger right out of the box. It is the most accurate 22 magnum I've ever owned and I've owned five or six of them and they didn't shoot anywhere near this accurate. It shoots less than dime-sized groups at 50 yards and that's about the maximum distance maybe 75 yards this is the only gun that's been that accurate that I would try it 75 or 100 yards. But if you can find one I would highly suggest you giving it a chance. It's a Savage Mark 2 22 mag I'll take a pic of it. I loaded the stock down with true oil to make it glossy but other than that I haven't done anything else to it. I was overwhelmingly surprised at the accuracy this gun can achieve. These are groups shot at 50 yards off the bag and as you can see they're quite tight. These were shot with 45 grain Winchester dynapoints. Very inexpensive ammunition for 22 mag and I'm sure it has a lot more if I can find just the right ammunition. See if you can find one and I would suggest trying that first because it's very inexpensive and I don't think you'll be disappointed. The bull barrel is key here but the rest of the gun is an absolutely just a remarkable performer. I'm going to bed the action but I'm not sure if it can get any more accurate than it already is but before I got a chance to do that I got a 1911 I'm working on right now but I plan on betting the action and doing a couple of other accuracy tricks to it to see if I can approve on what is already an unbelievably accurate 22 magnum. At 230 semi dollars you can't lose. I put an old vintage Redfield 2x7 scope and it shoots lights out give him a look if you can find one they're pretty hard to locate. It's a model 93 Mark 2 some of them come with the accutriggers but this one doesn't but at 4 lb right out of the box and it's perfect like it is.View attachment 5477175
Thanks I will look at a Savage. I have a Savage fvsr. I admit it is accurate but I think Savage could do better with their mags. Have two mags for it and both have gave me trouble. Now my Savage in 17 hmr is a heavy stainless barrel with the nice gray/black stock. It works fine.

All my grandfather ever had was a Marlin 22mag. He was a sharp shooter in WWII. If your going to get one, get a good bolt action. My grand father's was mag fed. I like tube fed myself. Marlin does or at least did make one

Back
Top Bottom