• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.22 conversion for AR question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
Okay, I am not going to be able to sell my AR, so now and looking to convert it over so my children can go with me to shoot it. They love shooting .22's, so getting a conversion is the best choice. However, I have never had one for an AR, so I am a newbie and would like some advice.

Seems the bolt conversion is the easiest on the wallet, but I can not see how it is accurate at all. Also, would the dirty rounds of a .22 clog up the gas tube? So then that moves me to the dedicated AR .22 uppers. They are more expensive, but seems that they would be much more accurate.

So I am asking if you guys have used either, or know of another option, and how it has worked out for you.

Thanks!!

I had one of the conversions, and it worked fine. The accuracy is slightly worse than a dedicated upper, but not that your kids will notice.

I wouldn't worry about clogging the gas tube - that would probably only happen if you shoot thousands of rounds without shooting some 5.56 in between to blow the crap out.

I used a CMMG Conversion kit that fits ANY AR-15 model. Very simple plug and play. Youtube it and you'll see how simple it is.
I've seen them on here for $110-$140 with 1 magazine or more.

It is very accurate but you have to make sure to keep the CMMG kit very lubricated so that nothing gets stuck. Otherwise its worth the money until you can
get a .22 rifle and then just sell the Kit or keep it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom