• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2024 turkey rigs

24on48hunting

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Deer Hunting Junkie
215   1
Reaction score
Anybody been working on a turkey gun for 2024? Got this little Rossi Tuffy 20 popper ready to roll.
Never hunted with anything aside a 12 gauge myself, but the reduced weight of this setup has me ready to hit the woods!
IMG_1938.jpeg

Ive been looking at getting one of the Stevens 301's. Cant beat them for the price and weight. Our property needs more yotes, opossoms, and coons thinned out before we get serious turkey hunting. Not many on the property to hunt.

After years of a 3.5 inch 12 gage, I went to a 20 gage half way through last season. I bought a camo Mossberg 500, accu-choke. It put same amount of shot in turkey target at 35 yards as the 12 ga. 3.5 did. Killed a bird with it. This season the 20 will be used with a Longbeard XR(Carlson) and Winchester Longbeard shells. Problem right now is finding 20 ga. Winchester Longbeard shells.

After years of a 3.5 inch 12 gage, I went to a 20 gage half way through last season. I bought a camo Mossberg 500, accu-choke. It put same amount of shot in turkey target at 35 yards as the 12 ga. 3.5 did. Killed a bird with it. This season the 20 will be used with a Longbeard XR(Carlson) and Winchester Longbeard shells. Problem right now is finding 20 ga. Winchester Longbeard shells.
I was just at academy in Cumming , GA. That’s all the truly loads they had. 20 gauge Winchester XR. Boxes of them. I see you’re in paulding but if you’re up that way definitely stop by.

I was just at academy in Cumming , GA. That’s all the truly loads they had. 20 gauge Winchester XR. Boxes of them. I see you’re in paulding but if you’re up that way definitely stop by.
Sorry, didn’t mean to type “truly”. Thought I typed “Turkey loads”. But they had a ton of them. All 20 gauge.

If you go, will you pick up a box of them for me please?
I’m not far from you and I pass through your area often.
I will be glad to if I go. I am going to call first, after I check Adventure Outdoors. Thinking maybe a closer Academy might have them, I stopped at Academy in Cartersville while ago. They had plenty of Winchester 20 ga. "Double X" turkey loads but no "Longbeard XR". I ordered a Carlson Longbeard choke, made especially for Win. Longbeard shells. If I find Longbeard shells tomorrow I will get you a box. Academy doesn`t even list Longbeard shells online.

20231217_105044.jpg

This one will be my primary. It is an ATI Turkey Fowl 20ga. I'm dropping it off with a buddy in Sparta, TN next month to cerakote the barrels and receiver burnt bronze and to peel the wrap off and dip the stock and forearm. Gonna do mossy oak Greenleaf. The finished project will look like this.

received_2086319421742086.jpeg

My back up is a stoeger M3020. It's a great shooter and patterns really well, I just really wanted to get into the O/U game.

If anyone is looking for a 12 pump with a red dot turkey gun I know a guy who has one listed 😎

Back
Top Bottom