• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

2024 garden thread

I just put close to 200 onions in the raised bed yesterday. This weekend I'll be starting a ton of plants from seed in the basement. I just received 4 10" X 20" heat mats. Hopefully I'll have everything sprouted and kicking off by next week.

I just put close to 200 onions in the raised bed yesterday. This weekend I'll be starting a ton of plants from seed in the basement. I just received 4 10" X 20" heat mats. Hopefully I'll have everything sprouted and kicking off by next week.
We've been using heat mats for several years in our sprouting room, best improvement ever. Also switched over to all LED lights.

will probably do another 6x12 area of bok choi as it seemed to do good last year. Moving tomatoes to a raised bed this year to see if they do better. Really need to come up with a way to keep deer out of okra....(well i know how but ill have to be super stealthy and quite about it). Just pruned my 18 blueberry trees. Candyroaster squash seed saved so will do those again.

Potted some tumeric, ginger roots and sweet corn seeds as starters. Should have shootes in 2-3wk.
wife loves turmeric so I took some of her fresh (rhizomes/roots) 2 years ago and potted them. Even though it dies back in winter I sit it back out and it sprouts again. Haven't harvested any yet but seems to be a nice plant to have on patio.

We've been using heat mats for several years in our sprouting room, best improvement ever. Also switched over to all LED lights.
I'll be picking up some light bulbs for some fixtures I picked up a few weeks back. I was thinking led as well. Been trying to decided what would be best.

will probably do another 6x12 area of bok choi as it seemed to do good last year. Moving tomatoes to a raised bed this year to see if they do better. Really need to come up with a way to keep deer out of okra....(well i know how but ill have to be super stealthy and quite about it). Just pruned my 18 blueberry trees. Candyroaster squash seed saved so will do those again.
I did 6 tomato's in a raised be last year and we had more coming in than we could eat. I'm going to double that number this year so I can can some.

I did 6 tomato's in a raised be last year and we had more coming in than we could eat. I'm going to double that number this year so I can can some.
We hung upside down tomato baskets from brackets along a sunny section of fence, about 7 feet off the ground. Being vines, they loved that growing method.
1707927389202.png

IMG_5629.jpeg
IMG_5630.jpeg
Spot on OP. ORGANIC all the way. This year our garden will mostly be in above ground beds made with lumber that I treated with an all natural organic coating. No pressure treated wood. Chemicals can leach into your food. Do not use railroad crossties either for the same reason. Soil going in the beds this week. Had to bulk order the organic soil and adding from our compost bins I’ve been filling up this past year. Greenhouse almost finished for the indoor seeding, sprouting, growing for next year’s garden.

Back
Top Bottom