• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2 more weeks.......

I think it must be localized. I've hunted in a few areas where they were common, but in most of the areas I have hunted I have never seen them. I guess I've just been lucky.
Do you ever hunt them pre-frost? You know the first time I read about them I thought "I've never seen that" but then I realized, I hadn't paid attention since I never hunt them early (and really have only half heartedly hunted them here at all). Then I started watching during early deer season. Binoc a few squirrels opening weekend (especially if you bow hunt). If you don't see any on any of them, I'd be more surprised than not. Last year or year before I was surprised how many had them in my backyard. I had never NOTICED that before. Again, not sure if I just wasn't paying attention or it was an usual year.

Do you ever hunt them pre-frost? You know the first time I read about them I thought "I've never seen that" but then I realized, I hadn't paid attention since I never hunt them early (and really have only half heartedly hunted them here at all). Then I started watching during early deer season. Binoc a few squirrels opening weekend (especially if you bow hunt). If you don't see any on any of them, I'd be more surprised than not. Last year or year before I was surprised how many had them in my backyard. I had never NOTICED that before. Again, not sure if I just wasn't paying attention or it was an usual year.

"Further, waiting until after a frost has nothing to do with bot flies. They emerge from their hosts after feeding for a number of weeks no matter what the weather is like."

This is from the article I posted above.

I have 7 or 8 every day on my trail cam. They all look fine to me. I think it might just be worse in some areas.

"Further, waiting until after a frost has nothing to do with bot flies. They emerge from their hosts after feeding for a number of weeks no matter what the weather is like."

This is from the article I posted above.

I have 7 or 8 every day on my trail cam. They all look fine to me. I think it might just be worse in some areas.
Definitely. Waiting until after a frost was for ME not them. ;) We never hunted or ate rabbits or squirrels until after the first frost. Too many cooties. :) I'm sure it is worse is some areas. Just like EHD etc...

I almost never hunt them AFTER first frost. Most of my hunting is done before opening day of bow season. I might hunt them a time or two in December or January. But 90% of my hunting is done in the very early season. Like I said, I think I might just be lucky in the fact that Bot Flies have not been common in most of the areas I have hunted.

I almost never hunt them AFTER first frost. Most of my hunting is done before opening day of bow season. I might hunt them a time or two in December or January. But 90% of my hunting is done in the very early season. Like I said, I think I might just be lucky in the fact that Bot Flies have not been common in most of the areas I have hunted.
Could very well be. I admittedly have never seen one loaded like that this poor little guy. Bon appetite! ;)

[Broken External Image]:

Could very well be. I admittedly have never seen one loaded like that this poor little guy. Bon appetite! ;)

[Broken External Image]:

Nope not for me, I cleaned one that that the wolves up under their skin and threw it away. Just looked nasty. I know it wont hurt you but just thinking about them nasty little buggers can ruin a pot of dumplings for me.

Back
Top Bottom