• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 thumb safety issue

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
I am attempting to replace an ambi safety with a standard single side thumb safety. In trying to fit it, I was using the old safety as a reference for how much material needed to be removed. As I got close to where it looked like it needed to be, I was going back and forth between trying to fit it and taking off a little more material. I got it to go in all the way finally, but would not move up or down, so kept going a little at a time. I finally got it to where it will move up and down as it is supposed to, but there is a problem.

With the gun reassembled completely, the safety works... until you pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger with the grip safety squeezed forces the thumb safety to disengage and the hammer falls. Without pressing the grip safety, it functions properly. I stopped messing with it at that point.

What I'm trying to figure out, is did I take too much material off the thumb safety lug or not enough?

I am attempting to replace an ambi safety with a standard single side thumb safety. In trying to fit it, I was using the old safety as a reference for how much material needed to be removed. As I got close to where it looked like it needed to be, I was going back and forth between trying to fit it and taking off a little more material. I got it to go in all the way finally, but would not move up or down, so kept going a little at a time. I finally got it to where it will move up and down as it is supposed to, but there is a problem.

With the gun reassembled completely, the safety works... until you pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger with the grip safety squeezed forces the thumb safety to disengage and the hammer falls. Without pressing the grip safety, it functions properly. I stopped messing with it at that point.

What I'm trying to figure out, is did I take too much material off the thumb safety lug or not enough?

Too much. That one is toast.

That's what I figured, but I was hoping I was wrong. Thanks for confirming.

Guess I'll chalk that one up to cost of learning and order another one.

While you're fitting the new one, take the grip safety out of the gun. It makes it easier to see the contact pad on the thumb safety as you're test fitting it.

Was it going fully into the "engaged" position once it started moving? There is a very small window where it'll move a little, sorta-kinda block the sear, but then get pushed off when the trigger is pulled.

A good light and a magnifier are your friends now, so you can see exactly what's going on at the engagement point.

If you get down by the Airport, I might be able to save you the cost of the replacement....

Braxton1 is correct put the hammer in without the palm safety. You can actually see it engage the sear. Then you will know exactly where it hitting prematurely and just take off that a very small amount at a time and then repeat untill everything works in conjunction.

Read this:

Back
Top Bottom