1911 magwells

Retread

Default rank <5000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
In a couple months, I want to put on a magwell. I've been trying to find out how to get a Sig Factory C3 Plus mainspring housing with magwell. No luck. My question is, how much fitting do drop in housing magwells require? Also, do the grip screw magwells stay tight? If I get a drop in, will I have to alter the frame, or just the magwell.

The style sold by Wilson Combat works very well for any gun that they are built to fit on.

I am referring to the one that slips over the grip bushings and fits under the grips. To do it exactly by the book, you have to remove some grip material from its underside. Care must be taken in only removing enough material, so not to create an air gap that will later allow the screws to be tightened enough to crack the grip. This is a very durable mag well.

Since, I told you what I like about the Wilson, I feel compelled to state my dislike for the Smith and Alexander type: if you drop your gun on a hard surface, the mag well legs can bend inward pinching the mag and preventing it from ejecting. It is hard to notice at first. I did this once while cleaning my gun and discovered the issue while trying to change mags. It was a confusing situation to figure out.

What's wrong with the C3 frame that makes a non-Sig Magwell not work?

And I'll double the comment for Wilson. They work great and fit right over the bushing. I've used one on a Colt and really liked it.

The style sold by Wilson Combat works very well for any gun that they are built to fit on.

I am referring to the one that slips over the grip bushings and fits under the grips. To do it exactly by the book, you have to remove some grip material from its underside. Care must be taken in only removing enough material, so not to create an air gap that will later allow the screws to be tightened enough to crack the grip. This is a very durable mag well.

Since, I told you what I like about the Wilson, I feel compelled to state my dislike for the Smith and Alexander type: if you drop your gun on a hard surface, the mag well legs can bend inward pinching the mag and preventing it from ejecting. It is hard to notice at first. I did this once while cleaning my gun and discovered the issue while trying to change mags. It was a confusing situation to figure out.

very well articulated
I would recommend finger paint to aid in determining the area to be removed with the WCs. Try it out on an old or cheap set first.
I actually prefer this setup for the exact reasons 1006 stated.

I think I will try the type that slip over the bushing. Instead of altering the grips I think I will try making a veneer spacer to start until I know I like the magwell. If they stay, I'm kind of thinking about some custom grips. Maybe bone or stag with an Ebony spacer.

Back
Top Bottom