• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1766 Charleville load data help

cwalk13

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
Wondering what powder to use and what grain to load? I’m hearing mixed reviews anywhere from 100 to 150 grains and thats too much of a gap for me. I do hear good things about the Swiss brand.

Powder was not as strong and consistent back in those days so you’ll run across info containing high numbers by today’s standard. I’d suggest you start at 90 grains of FFg and some of that will be used to prime the pan. You can work up from there but for casual shooting that might be just right. Use real black powder, the substitutes don’t ignite well in flintlocks. Brand is based on availability but I like Schuetzen myself.

Powder was not as strong and consistent back in those days so you’ll run across info containing high numbers by today’s standard. I’d suggest you start at 90 grains of FFg and some of that will be used to prime the pan. You can work up from there but for casual shooting that might be just right. Use real black powder, those substitues don’t ignite well in flintlocks. Brand is based on availability but I like Schuetzen myself.

Brother you are on top of every question I have. I really appreciate the help. There’s a lot that goes into flintlocks and I’m having a good time just learning and I haven’t even got to the shooting part yet.

More info…

Mfr load data for repro 1795 Sprinfield is 70-100 grains. That weapon was a Charleville copy

IMG_4540.png

I’m still learning too friend. :D Sure is fun…..here’s a helpful website: https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/forums/flintlock-rifles.11/

View attachment 6570878

More info…

Mfr load data for repro 1795 Sprinfield is 70-100 grains. That weapon was a Charleville copy

View attachment 6570851
I see people are using different powder for the pan. Is there a powder that’s good for both?

Back
Top Bottom