• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10mm opinions and reviews...

It hits harder than a 9mm and the recoil is heavier buy far. The 9mm is so weak they teach a double tap to the chest and one to the head. I have shot the 9mm side by side up against the 10mm and the effects on hard and soft targets is noticably more devastating.
Curious as to who the "they" is that teaches Mozambique for 9mm and not for 10mm.

The big reality check that you should walk away with is that there is no "devastating " handgun cartridge that one would ever realistically carry for SD.

Curious as to who the "they" is that teaches Mozambique for 9mm and not for 10mm.

The big reality check that you should walk away with is that there is no "devastating " handgun cartridge that one would ever realistically carry for SD.

Glad somebody with more notches on their belt said it and not me.

You put a hole in someones heart or T-Box, they tend to die.

You blow out their spinal cord, they drop. Caliber irrelevant.

Personally I like a round that isn't so powder loaded that it'll blow through 12 inch FBI standard penetration tests and keep going into one of my interior walls or a crowd of folks at the grocery store.

Edit: and before the nit pickers show up saying that by my statement im, "advocating underpowered cartridges like a .22 LR or 25 ACP," I am not.

modern 9mm has been definitively proven in a litany of tests to be plenty effective when rounds are put where they need to be. You miss vitals with 9mm, .40, .45, or 10mm and you'll get fairly similar results. And if Miami Dade shows up in this thread I'll joyfully laugh myself silly for the rest of day knowing how willfully ignorant some folks continue to be.

I have owned multiple Glock 20's and they are the workhorse of the group. Fire every time, manageable recoil and high capacity. No need to carry additional mags in the bush and no one cares how "pretty' the finish is on your pistol after years in the field, etc. If you are in bear country, I would rather have one than not.

If you want something a little more refined, there are many options like others have stated previously. I went a slightly different direction and had a custom 10mm made by CZ, which they are now offering from CZ Custom.

*** I am a huge fan of the CZ Custom Competition pistols and have extreme bias in this subject ***

The CZ 97 was originally a 45 cal pistol. With CZ Custom adding a new barrel and springs, you can now have a custom pistol in both 10mm and 45 cal. Just swap the barrel, springs and mags, which allows me to have both a badass 45 and 10mm in the same package. It shoots like a freakin dream.

Featured Specs:
CZ Competition hammer tuned and polished for smooth DA and crisp SA release.
Short Reset Disconnector fitted to the action 85
Original trigger
ACCU bushing SS guide rod
Fiber optic front sight and CZC Competition rear sight
Thin aluminum grips
1Ornd magazines X 2

Attachments

• CZ 45-10.jpg
    CZ 45-10.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 12
I have owned multiple Glock 20's and they are the workhorse of the group. Fire every time, manageable recoil and high capacity. No need to carry additional mags in the bush and no one cares how "pretty' the finish is on your pistol after years in the field, etc. If you are in bear country, I would rather have one than not.

If you want something a little more refined, there are many options like others have stated previously. I went a slightly different direction and had a custom 10mm made by CZ, which they are now offering from CZ Custom.

*** I am a huge fan of the CZ Custom Competition pistols and have extreme bias in this subject ***

The CZ 97 was originally a 45 cal pistol. With CZ Custom adding a new barrel and springs, you can now have a custom pistol in both 10mm and 45 cal. Just swap the barrel, springs and mags, which allows me to have both a badass 45 and 10mm in the same package. It shoots like a freakin dream.

Featured Specs:
CZ Competition hammer tuned and polished for smooth DA and crisp SA release.
Short Reset Disconnector fitted to the action 85
Original trigger
ACCU bushing SS guide rod
Fiber optic front sight and CZC Competition rear sight
Thin aluminum grips
1Ornd magazines X 2
tommy-likey-tommy-boy.gif

i took an LEO training course, and that's exactly what we were taught to do with a .357.

If i am ever in a position where it's required, it's exactly what I intend to do.

Edit: and before the nit pickers show up saying that by my statement im, "advocating underpowered cartridges like a .22 LR or 25 ACP," I am not.
Not being argumentative, but check out the mortality figures for the .22

First it's the most common round across the board.

Secondly, because of the structure of most bullets, it tends to not deform, and penetrate deeply, so that mortality may not be immediate, but still occurs.

Not advocating for .22 for self defense, but looking at the tables is interesting.

Not being argumentative, but check out the mortality figures for the .22

First it's the most common round across the board.

Secondly, because of the structure of most bullets, it tends to not deform, and penetrate deeply, so that mortality may not be immediate, but still occurs.

Not advocating for .22 for self defense, but looking at the tables is interesting.

I considered going down that road but decided against hijacking this thread any further than I had already. But since it was said, off we go.

I am not against the use of 22 for self defense entirely, if it's what a state's bogus laws make the easiest choice for a wide variety of reasons, totally understandable. And if someone has bad enough hand issues that prevent being able to handle recoil of anything more potent thus allowing them to actually put rounds where they need to be, by all means! It beats not being armed at all.

It's "lethality" is a topic rife with debate as statistics do not necessarily equate to absolute fact.

While plenty deadly, as is a high powered .17 pellet rifle, the amount of deaths credited to it aren't always because of its terminal ballistics.

In the same way cows kill more people each year than sharks, the data comes from exposure to said danger.

While not being "deadlier" than common SD calibers, .22's (and cows) are much more commonly interacted with by more people, more often, for longer periods of time. And since it's many times not given enough respect, fatally mishandled.

I'm sure I missed a tiny sub-category on the issue that someone will be happy to point out.

i took an LEO training course, and that's exactly what we were taught to do with a .357.

If i am ever in a position where it's required, it's exactly what I intend to do.
Mozambique drills are used widely. The statement I was referring to was that it is used due to how weak the 9mm is but that 10mm is some sort of devastating round implying that more than 1 shot isn't needed. The truth is that they are all handgun cartridges and all lack terminal performance. The further truth is that the majority of 10mm that people shoot is just 40+p and not loaded to 10mm potential.

Back
Top Bottom