• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/22 Barrel Removal HELP!

Good luck I couldn't get mine out took it to a gunsmith he couldn't get it out 2nd gunsmith at same store got it out but ruined old barrel and charged $60.00 but they put in new barrel slide stop and bolt.I was pissed but couldn't do it myself.
i41.tinypic.com_33yon46.jpg

Thanks for all the pointers, gents! I used a bit of CLP, as I wanted to try the path of least resistance first, as opposed to driving around looking for penetrating oil. I let the CLP soak in and then the barrel would turn... from there it was a short trip to getting it to move forward and back and, after some significant pulling with the better half trying to hold receiver in place, the barrel slid out. New barrel is in and ready for the RIDICULOUS Green Mountain break-in protocol. Rings come today to mount the Barska glass... see you soon at the range!

Thanks for all the pointers, gents! I used a bit of CLP, as I wanted to try the path of least resistance first, as opposed to driving around looking for penetrating oil. I let the CLP soak in and then the barrel would turn... from there it was a short trip to getting it to move forward and back and, after some significant pulling with the better half trying to hold receiver in place, the barrel slid out. New barrel is in and ready for the RIDICULOUS Green Mountain break-in protocol. Rings come today to mount the Barska glass... see you soon at the range!

Glad you got it fixed :).

Try 50/50 mix of Auto transmission fluid and acetone. Please keep in mind this is very flamible.

Machinist's Workshop Magazine did a trial study of different penetrating fluids in their April 2007 issue. Granted these were not done on threaded fasteners but press-fit pins. It was an interesting article with good information, and the ATF-Acetone mix was head and shoulders above the rest. I would like to have seen them do the same testing with threaded fasteners though.

Pete

Alternately, put the whole damn thing thing in the freezer for a couple of hours. Take it out, and heat up the receiver with a heat gun. Try not to heat the barrel too much.

Should come free fairly easily.

Back
Top Bottom