• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/22 Barrel Removal HELP!

ArmedinAtlanta

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
26   0
Reaction score
I just finished painting the flutes on my new 10/22 bull barrel, and when I removed the action from the factory stock, I was expecting to be able to remove the barrel from the action (after removing the retainer, obviously) manually, without tools. It appears that my expectation was in error, because the barrel is completely stuck-- I can't get it to turn in the action, much less slide out of it.

I understand that this is a common outcome with these rifles, so I'm not too worried about it (and the Russians are the only ones who dislike tight tolerances!), but it appears I am going to need a vice. I was hoping that someone in the city of ATL has the vice and know-how to help me out. Its worth about 12 pack to me, let me know if you can help! Thanks and be safe.

He says not to use a vice, I dunno.

When I did mine it was tough but I did get it out without the use of a vice.

Last edited by a moderator:

He says not to use a vice, I dunno.

When I did mine it was tough but I did get it out without the use of a vice.

Thanks for the response. I did watch that video prior to attempting removal, and the guy basically states that his came out with manual force only and that he has no info at to other ways to perform removal. I understand that your experience was similar, however, I tried and tried and couldn't get the thing to give me even a glimmer of hope. My hands, as a result of a childhood of manual labor on a farm and in construction, coupled with an adulthood of lifting weights and other physical activities, are about as strong as anyone's, but they seem to be insufficient in this case.

Update: If anyone can get this barrel out with their hands, I'll 1) eat my hat and 2) give them $20. You can visit me at my place of work or my home. PM for contest details :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response. I did watch that video prior to attempting removal, and the guy basically states that his came out with manual force only and that he has no info at to other ways to perform removal. I understand that your experience was similar, however, I tried and tried and couldn't get the thing to give me even a glimmer of hope. My hands, as a result of a childhood of manual labor on a farm and in construction, coupled with an adulthood of lifting weights and other physical activities, are about as strong as anyone's, but they seem to be insufficient in this case.

Interesting. Maybe contact Ruger and see what they say before you start torquing it. I'd hate for you to bend it.

Interesting. Maybe contact Ruger and see what they say before you start torquing it. I'd hate for you to bend it.

I was almost thinking that a thick dowel inserted in the receiver with bolt held open, applied to the far edge of the barrel (angled so bottom end is on barrel and top is sticking out of receiver) and tapped lightly with a mallet from the back would give me the mech adv I need, but was hoping that someone had a less Bubba solution.

Back
Top Bottom