• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10/22 Barrel Change

Do the different length barrels make a noticeable difference?

Not really. Barrel profile doesn't, either. Bull barrels and sporters can both do better than most shooters.

The big difference is in the quality of the barrel itself, and most importantly, how it was chambered. Tighter chambers and more consistent barrels tend to shoot better.

There's a trade off in reliability, though. Tighter chambers may not be as reliable with all ammunition.

The v block is what holds the barrel in place. Two screws tighten it down--shaped like a "V" in the video. Some guys like to use an aftermarket one that is designed to hold the barrel in a slightly different position. You don't have to have it, but after you put it all together, you may want it to give your scope more "up" elevation adjustment.

It helps to scratch a line on the barrel and receiver before you take it off, to ensure you get it back on perfectly straight.

Huh. I never realized it was THAT easy. Probably not a good thing I know that now.
I need to keep telling myself... "Do not mess with your 10/22 it shoots perfectly, do not mess with your 10/22 it shoots perfectly, do NOT mess with your 10/22...."

Most of the beauty of the 10/22, I find, is in messing with it. The only reasons to have a completely unmolested 10/22 are these: 1) you're 12; and/or 2) you're a gun grabber trying to use the 10/22 as a beard (like Biden with his shotgun.) Either way, I'd at least get a bull barrel on there so people don't think these things about you.

Most of the beauty of the 10/22, I find, is in messing with it. The only reasons to have a completely unmolested 10/22 are these: 1) you're 12; and/or 2) you're a gun grabber trying to use the 10/22 as a beard (like Biden with his shotgun.) Either way, I'd at least get a bull barrel on there so people don't think these things about you.
Only thing I've put on mine is a Hogue overmolded stock (which I love). Now I'm going to have to get another one day and 'rebuild' it. :)

Since we are all baring our 10/22 souls, I will share with you the other side's opinion.

Many years ago a gun mag did a story on the 10/22 and all of the mods you can do to one. They focused on barrel, trigger, and sights or optics. In the test firing, from a rest at 50 yards, the trigger job yielded the biggest improvement. Ammo selection and sighting systems were next. The barrel gave the least improvement. They shaved almost an inch off the group size with the trigger job. The bull barrel only took .4 of and inch off. Is .4 inch worth the money? The Ruger barrel is actually pretty good.

My gun has a set of Tech Sights that are simular to AR-15 peep sights. These sights did more for me than the trigger job that my gunsmith did. That trigger job eventually failed due to hammer follow and the gun now has an all factory trigger system. I am pretty good at hitting two inch rocks at 100 yards with the peep sights and an otherwise stock gun.

I don't think all the mods available can make it as accurate as a stock Ruger 77/22 for the same money, but the 10/22 is a lot more fun to rattle off shots from 25 round mag. And, the built 10/22 does look a lot cooler.

Back
Top Bottom