• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10/16

I had an 8 come in about 5:45 at 35 yards directly downwind. Nothing to brag about; but he was QDM. I lined up the shot and was going to plant him without anything in the way. Pulled the trigger and get a crack of the cap; but no ka-boom from the powder. Needless to say, he will live another day. Right as I was getting ready to come down from tripod, racoons came out and same results again when I pulled the trigger. About to clean and remove the pellets from the smoke pole and see if there is anything obvious going on to cause the malfunctions.

I had an 8 come in about 5:45 at 35 yards directly downwind. Nothing to brag about; but he was QDM. I lined up the shot and was going to plant him without anything in the way. Pulled the trigger and get a crack of the cap; but no ka-boom from the powder. Needless to say, he will live another day. Right as I was getting ready to come down from tripod, racoons came out and same results again when I pulled the trigger. About to clean and remove the pellets from the smoke pole and see if there is anything obvious going on to cause the malfunctions.
What gun are you shooting? I’m lucky that my CVA Optima has the quick detach breech plug

Old CVA inline. I popped a few caps before loading it and it was blowing leaves. Guessing the pellet powder is the issue. I will be on vacation until Friday sometime and then it will be go time with the 7362x39 AR and can. On bright side, there were 3 fresh scrapes in my shooting lane with one being beside the tripod. Also, the deer tonight came in to check on a fresh scrape I made walking in just for the heck of it at 35 yards. No one is hunting the property except me until Saturday when I meet up with younger brother to hunt.

Mystery solved! Seems that something either was inside a cap (most likely) or got into the nipple while I was drying the barrel shooting caps. Nipple was completely blocked and had to take a piece of wire to get it cleared out. Next will be a good long soak in Hoppes and then maybe a toss into the brass tumbler just for good measure. Either way, I'll be getting another breach plug and nipple for next year.

Back
Top Bottom