• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10/14 Hunt

Got it done this evening. I was hunting a small clearing with 5 or 6 oaks in it adjacent to a creek/swamp. There were a few different bucks chasing does in the thick stuff across the creek between 5:30 and 6:00. I could only catch glimpses of deer but heard a fair amount of grunting. Then it got quiet. About 6:15 two does and a small 4 pointer crossed the far edge of the clearing and the grunting stopped. Then about 6:30 I saw a decent buck across the creek where my road crosses the creek. He gave me enough of a look at him that I knew I was going to shoot him. I aimed and fired and when the smoke finally cleared I saw him trotting across the creek crossing and then he got in the woods and started walking. I thought I had missed him, but I thought there was no way I missed him. I went where he was standing when I shot and found a little lung and liver and fair amount of blood. Since I was hunting by myself, didn't know how well I had hit him, and since it was getting dark, I decided to put shotgun 01 shotgun 01 and missus shotgun 01 to work. I called and they headed over with their tracking dog. We went through some really thick stuff so not sure how far the deer went. Probably not as far as it seemed. The deer crossed the creek, did a big half circle and ended up 30 yards from the road 60 or 70 yards from where I first shot him. I walked right by him heading back to camp and never knew it. Big thanks to shotgun 01 shotgun 01 , Missus shotgun 01 shotgun 01 , and Bella. Im glad to start off the year with one of my target bucks.
View attachment 6348985
View attachment 6348993
View attachment 6349066
View attachment 6349073
Congratulations

How you like the 7mm08? I never have owned one
I really enjoy it I hunted with 300 saum for many years and built the 7-08 in 2017 had 700 sps cut and crowned to 18”
I enjoy the light recoil it a descent size bullet it shoots 140 accubonds great.

I really enjoy it I hunted with 300 saum for many years and built the 7-08 in 2017 had 700 sps cut and crowned to 18”
I enjoy the light recoil it a descent size bullet it shoots 140 accubonds great.
Ok thanks. Yeah i hunt with big calibers myself and was thinking about getting a 7-08. Heard alot of good things about them

Same here. Shooting a Tikka 7mm08 with hand loaded 140 grain Accubonds. Much easier on my old shoulder than the 7 WSM.

Back
Top Bottom