• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1/2-28 Thread Chaser?

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
My suppressor is not going on easily as it did before. I cleaned the threads but still the same. I do not see damaged threads on the barrel end or on the suppressor end. Should I use a 1/2-28 thread chaser or 1/2-28 tap and die?

If either, where can I get them?

I believe either one would work, but be very careful to go in straight and use plenty of oil. You can get either from McMaster Carr or many other suppliers on internet. Might even try a good hardware, but 1/2-28 is not very popular in average use. If you’re ever down around Suwanee, GA you are welcome to come by and use mine. PM me if I help.

I'd be wary of resorting directly to dies or thread chasers, especially if the threading was originally good.

One technique I have used was to get valve lapping compound onto the threads and just run the can on and off the thread a few times and then clean the whole thing up. Repeat a few times.

Use a die. But use it in conjunction with a thread alignment tool.
Something like this:
The tool does exactly what it says it will do. Start the die on the threads, put the tool down the barrel and wind the die down. It keeps it all aligned. Magic!

I've used one a few times in similar situations on 14x1lh threaded barrel on some AK's that apparently had their brake twisted on by mongo the cross-eyed gorilla.

Back
Top Bottom