• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Squirrels

KommandoKhorne

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
Went out to Redlands last week looking for squirrels but did not see a single one. Never squirrel hunted before so that is more than likely my fault. Does anyone have any experience with Broad River WMA? I was thinking about hunting there this weekend. Once again, New to squirrel hunting so any tips or advice would be more than welcome!

Shouldn't have any trouble finding any. That's about as easy hunting as it gets. Move slow and quiet. Sit down a few minutes every 100yds or more
More than likely my large doofus ass being loud lol. I appreciate it. Any trees i should look out for? Is it a good idea to scope out nests in the trees and wait around those?
Thanks

More than likely my large doofus ass being loud lol. I appreciate it. Any trees i should look out for? Is it a good idea to scope out nests in the trees and wait around those?
Thanks
Hardwood stands would be best, but almost any would do. Creek bottoms are a good place too. The nest thing, I wouldn't worry about watching a particular nest. Just know they're in the area.

Bring a good pair of binoculars and scan the trees for holes. Late season squirrel hunting should be based around the location of den trees. Holes will be 3-4” in diameter and will be nice and round in shape. If there is no activity around den trees after a while, I’d move on.

Another good thing to do is to scan the tree tops early in the morning. Squirrels will stretch out on a limb and warm their bodies in the sun on the cooler mornings. Be sure to check horizontal limbs directly above squirrel nests for squirrels that are sunning too.

I also check around the bases of pine trees for chewed or discarded pine cones or pieces of pine cones. Acorns are in short supply and squirrels will often forage on the pine nuts within the cones.

Flambeau-outdors-hunting-bark-squirrel-call-109.jpg

I will say that last Saturday they quit moving right after sunrise. I think the cold and wind put them up.

We have a competition at work the first Saturday after deer season end every year so we were all doing that. Every team had low numbers compared to most years. Winning pair had 14.

Back
Top Bottom