• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zero a red dot ?

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
You guys zero your red dot at 50 yards? So your point of impact is just about zero at 50 and 200 yards. You’ll be about an inch low at 25 yards, and two inches high at 100 yards?

Or do you guys zero at 25 yards?

What distance do you zero your red dot at?

all depends on how high above the bore your red dot is, I do not use a riser and zero at 25 yards and am dead on center when sighted at 25 and it hits about an inch high at 100 yards. 1 in 9, 16" barrel, 55 grain fmj.

You mentioned the 50-200 so I’m guessing we are talking about an AR15 in 556/223.

As far as zero goes Intended use and barrel length are big factors, anything shorter than 12.5 I zero at 100yds. (But I’m exclusively running LPVOS so it’s a little different)

ultimately it’s what your comfortable with and what you like better ammo is sorta hard to get rn but if you can spare it try both. You may also wanna look into the 36yd zero if you want a good inbetween

If it’s a nightstand gun I’d zero at 25, if it’s a general purpose I’d do the 50 but be sure to shoot at 200 and see the difference I’ve seen as much as 5in POA/POI shifts from 50 to 200.

Depends. If just a red dot - 100 yards. If something like an EOTech with a BDC ish reticle - either zero at 50 (where most are designed to be zero'd, and that is also your 200'ish mark), or still zero at 100 and work your ballistics around the extra reticle reference points.

Don't overthink your zero. 100 yard zero is very easy mentally to calculate in your mind in a rush. Anything closer is within a couple inches of your POA. Anything further will be a drop - just hold a lil higher as you go out further. Shoot it and see what your rifle does.

This isn't 100% and is a basic illustration.
Basic zero info.jpg

I zero all of my "go to's" at 200, far zero. That typically puts me very close to dead on at 50 (the near zero). Systems that have a BDC get zeroed at whatever the BDC says.

I see little benefit for "close work" between a 25 yard and 50 yard zero. At inside house distances the difference in point of impact is not very much.

A 25 yard zero on an AR15 means that you're very close to a 300 yard far zero, and the bullet should impact within 8-10" of point of aim at any distance in between. Aim for bellybutton and you should get a hit. Some people find this to be useful.

I choose the "50-200" for red dots because the distance from point of aim to point of impact is smaller, at least to 225 or so. Beyond that I have to hold over, or come up (adjust the sight).

However, as ReservoidDawg10 stated, starting with a 100 yard zero my be easier to keep straight in your head. At close in distances the difference, again, is negligible. Beyond about 100 yards you have to start holding over, or dial.

Remember 3,3,3,4. Hold over (or come up) 3 MOA for 200 yards, 6 MOA (3+3) for 300 yards, 9 MOA (3+3+3) for 400 yards, and 13 MOA (3+3+3+4) for 500 yards. Not precise, but pretty close, especially for a red dot.

You guys zero your red dot at 50 yards? So your point of impact is just about zero at 50 and 200 yards. You’ll be about an inch low at 25 yards, and two inches high at 100 yards?

Or do you guys zero at 25 yards?

What distance do you zero your red dot at?

I would zero a .223 carbine, set up as a CQB fighting gun, at 200 yards.
I think that would put my first zero at around 40 yards. The bullet would be a bit high from 75 thru 150, back to dead-on at 200, a bit low at 225, significantly lower at 250, and by 300 I'd better remember to aim for the throat if I want a hit in the enemy's upper chest.

What I would NOT do is zero it for any close distance like 10, 15, or even 25 yards.
In my experience, unless your optic is really low profile and sits close to the barrel, a 25 yard zero will have you very high at 100 and even 200, and it won't be back to its second zero point until you're well outside the likely use of a defensive .223 carbine.

Back
Top Bottom