• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Yugo SKS Malfunction

ZFrog

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
35   0
Reaction score
Please assist...

Bought an SKS and it is malfunctioning. It fires, but the round does not eject and I don't think the bolt comes back. As if the gas tube was shut. There is a round metal piece inside the gas tube that pushes the bolt back 1/4 inch and stays there.. I have to pull the bolt back and release it a few times to hammer it back in..

What is this metal dowel? Why is it in my gas tube moving around? I also can't remove my gas tube bc I think it is in the way..

Pictures:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 7.40.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 7.40.33 PM.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 7.40.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 7.40.42 PM.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 7.40.48 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-07-18 at 7.40.48 PM.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 42
It's kind of hard to explain, but there is the gas piston in the gas tube, and another little piston/rod (gas piston extension rod) contained in the sight. This is the one that actually makes contact with the bolt carrier.

You can remover the smaller one by removing the gas tube, then rotating the same lever you use to remove the gas tube a little further. Be careful, this one is under spring pressure.

I just found this and it may help to disassemble. Scroll down to about slide 14 to get to the pistons (slide 20 for the rod extension removal): http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/carbine/index.asp

Take it out and clean it as well as the other parts, then put it back together. They may be gunked up.

See if that works.

If not, you may can try this new gas valve: http://www.murraysguns.com/sks_gv.htm I had cycling issues with my Yugo and this fixed it up. But try cleaning those areas first.

Sorry if this is confusing. If it does not help and someone else has a better fix, I am willing to delete this.

Hope that helps.

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, but I am unable to remove the the gas tube.

Is it because this metal rod is supposed to be pushed in? Can I hammer it in?

Theres a spring there that may be broken, i wouldnt hammer it. PM me if you are in the cherokee county area and i can meet you and help you with it......

it looks as if the gas piston is pushed back a .25" the yugos have a grenade launcher up on the top toward the end of the barrel is the gas port selector tab pointed up or to the right? if it is up then it will only fire once due to the gas port being turned off, for semi auto needs to be down and to the right. this is a very easy fix so check the position first. if need to i can give u my number and we can talk.

UPDATE:

So I tried hammering that metal piece that stuck out. I was able to push it 1/4 inch towards the front. Yeah, I know, wrong thing to do. Just wanted to remove the gas tube and thought that had to go back into the gas chamber. Bulletpaluza offered to contact via phone and was able to walk be through things. Once I was confident that the metal piece was not the cause of the jam, I wedged the gas tube. Anyway, the Gas tube was just really tight in there and just needed a wedge between the barrel and the gas tube with a screw driver.

So I got the gas tube out, and it was gunked up and has stringy leftovers. Also, I assume it was not cycling because of the gunk, and since I hammered the piston extension it bent.

I am pretty sure cleaning it would have been all it needed. Since I bent the piston extension, I will get a new one and report how the shooting goes.

PIctures:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 10.58.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 10.58.49 PM.png
    356.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 10.58.57 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-08-02 at 10.58.57 PM.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom