Your not going to believe this - car totaled without a scratch on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I have very first hand knowledge that all of the following is exactly true.

Lady friend parks in her yard, and parks over water pipe - just the way it is.

Drives a late model Subaru wagon.

Lightening strike, runs down the pipe, under the car, and into the house , where there was some minor damage.

The lightening never touched the car as far as anyone can tell. BUT the EMR radiation fried the car's computer, just like it could fry your home computer in the right circumstances.

Towed off to the Subaru dealer, who gives her a loaner. insurance company is good on paying for repairs.

All the car needs is a computer, and it will be up and running.

You may be aware of the world wide shortage of computer chips for automobiles. Subaru dealer can't find a computer, not in the U.S., not in Japan, not in the whole wider world. So she keeps loaner for 5 weeks, Subaru throws up its hands, say "we can't repair it." "we want our loaner back."

Based on this , ins. co. (GEICO) throws up its hands, declares it totaled, pays her off, gives her 3 day rental, end of story.

So there is a late model, "totalled" Subaru sitting at the dealership in excellent condition without a mark on it.

Footnote: She really likes Subaru. She couldn't find a good used one. Car Vanna had some but she found the delivery chargers prohibitive. She found one similar to hers, about 4 years old, she bought hers two years ago, and she said the current price was $2000 more than she paid 3 years ago.

Ended up buying mid-sized Honda SUV or crossover

Wife had an accident in my 2012 Ford Explorer - all the bells and whistles on it. Not much damage in my opinion but the insurance company totaled it and paid me off. Then they sold it to a salvager who was awfully anxious to get the title, etc. My guess is they repaired it, re-titled it and sold it for a profit because even used cars like that are worth plenty these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom