• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your best or first convertible memory!

That one named after a toaster! LOL when you going to get that thing out and drive it?

You are correct sir haha. Had it in the yard testing it, neighbors think I'm nuts but that's nothing new..... Its almost roadworthy at this point but needs body and paint

Not even sure I remember my first ride

My father always owned a convertible
His first car in 1952 was a 40 Ford ragtop
His brother rolled it and bought him a 41 Ford ragtop

Hen he bought a brand new one every couple of years , all of them red & white
His next car was a 55 Chevy vert
Then a 57 Chevy vert
Then a 59 cadilliac
Then a 59 Ford Galaxie with the retractable steel top

I dont remember any of those since they were gone before I was born but I remember riding in some of the other convertible cars my dad owned
model A ,
A Nash Metropoliian ,
Corvair
Mustang

His last convertible was a 74 Caprice he bought new

He sold it in the early 90s

He owned several at the same time and growing up in a small town they always wanted to use his in parades
And sometimes i got to drive them in parades when I was 13 or 14

In The summer of 1980 The day after i turned 15 and got my learners permit I drove the 74 Caprice from Blairsville GA to Camden SC , top down all the way

He had made that trip a dozen times so My dad gave me a map and written directions
And never said "turn here" or anyhthing

He ask what road I was on and what my next turn was
Then say "you missed your turn 5 miles back "

Taught me how to read a map and pay attention to where I was and landmarks etc
Cause it made me feel stupid when I missed a turn
At some point late in the trip after dark a bat bounced off the windshield and landed in my lap
I didn't know what it was
It flopping all around I was swerving all over the road
Dad was yelling at me to not swerve

He just calmly grabbed a wing and tossed it overboard

I think one of my best memories is when I was a teenager in the early 80s he had a turquoise and white 59 Ford retractable steel top
And at the same time we had a 1960 model 16 foot mahogany ski boat

We'd hook that to the 59 retractable put the top down and go to lake Nottley, Blue Ridge , Chatauge or Hartwell

Seemed like We'd spend more time showing off the car and boat than on the water

You wanna draw a crowd. Get a 59 retractable , put the top halfway down and walk off and watch the crowd form

Not even sure I remember my first ride

My father always owned a convertible
His first car in 1952 was a 40 Ford ragtop
His brother rolled it and bought him a 41 Ford ragtop

Hen he bought a brand new one every couple of years , all of them red & white
His next car was a 55 Chevy vert
Then a 57 Chevy vert
Then a 59 cadilliac
Then a 59 Ford Galaxie with the retractable steel top

I dont remember any of those since they were gone before I was born but I remember riding in some of the other convertible cars my dad owned
model A ,
A Nash Metropoliian ,
Corvair
Mustang

His last convertible was a 74 Caprice he bought new

He sold it in the early 90s

He owned several at the same time and growing up in a small town they always wanted to use his in parades
And sometimes i got to drive them in parades when I was 13 or 14

In The summer of 1980 The day after i turned 15 and got my learners permit I drove the 74 Caprice from Blairsville GA to Camden SC , top down all the way

He had made that trip a dozen times so My dad gave me a map and written directions
And never said "turn here" or anyhthing

He ask what road I was on and what my next turn was
Then say "you missed your turn 5 miles back "

Taught me how to read a map and pay attention to where I was and landmarks etc
Cause it made me feel stupid when I missed a turn
At some point late in the trip after dark a bat bounced off the windshield and landed in my lap
I didn't know what it was
It flopping all around I was swerving all over the road
Dad was yelling at me to not swerve

He just calmly grabbed a wing and tossed it overboard

I think one of my best memories is when I was a teenager in the early 80s he had a turquoise and white 59 Ford retractable steel top
And at the same time we had a 1960 model 16 foot mahogany ski boat

We'd hook that to the 59 retractable put the top down and go to lake Nottley, Blue Ridge , Chatauge or Hartwell

Seemed like We'd spend more time showing off the car and boat than on the water

You wanna draw a crowd. Get a 59 retractable , put the top halfway down and walk off and watch the crowd form
Guy i used to work with had one, that's alot of steel to fold up in the trunk !

Can't say I have any memorable stories (at least none I'll share ;) ), but my first topless was a 1972 K5 Blazer in copper metallic. It was an awesome truck that got awful fuel mileage- about 6mpg. It drove more like a boat than a truck. Nothing like the smell of exhaust from a SBC on a cold morning. I wish I had that one back.

1966 Mustang GT. 289 4 barrel, 4 speed. Had lots of fun in that car.
20200914_193944.jpg

IMG_0586.JPG
I built a 23 Ford T Bucket (no hood, no doors, no top, big motor, big tires in back, loud exhaust) when I was 61 and kept it until I was 70. My wife loved to ride in it (beautiful blonde haired lady). We always got lots of waves and thumbs up.

We also got really wind burned and sun burned but loved to take it out for 20 to 30 mile rides. It wasn't good for going further than that since it rode like a buckboard and we are both getting up in years.

It didn't have a ton of high speed but it got to 70 or so really quick and really loud. I left a lot of youngsters in rice burners at the redlights when I took off.

1963 Chevy Impala. 327, 300 HP with a Muncy 4 speed. White with a red interior. My dad got rid of it when I went in the Army. I also had a brown w/ white interior 1967 Buick 225 with a 455 in it. Almost like this one but white insides. That was a RIDE!!!

196328_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Back
Top Bottom