• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your best or first convertible memory!

Sophomore in HS, ended up on a dead end circle with a foxy older girl (18-19 or so) in her dad's Convertable Cadillac Eldorado.... what a night!!

1968 Olds Cutlass 442 Convertible. My grandfather was a Shriner and used it fir parades. It was pale yellow with an original white interior and had an awful set of whitewalls and wire hubcaps. I got to borrow it a few times, and it was fun to drive.

Two of my uncles drove it on a golf outing one Sunday afternoon. One of them was a smoker, and when he flicked a butt out of the car it actually blew into the back seat...with predictable results. A few miles later they had to pull over and watch the car burn to the ground.

Last edited:
First memory was seeing all of my cousins take off without me in a firebird convertible during a family vacation a long, long time ago.

Had a Fiat X1/9 - technically not a convertible.

Had a Fiat Spyder convertible - cool car with a glasspack until the front end broke.

Yeah, it's been only sunroofs since then...

First convert ride was a late 50's vette. Many since,usually euros, triumph, jag, fiat. Now doing a resto on a 60's Brit convert.

Mom had a 62 Caddy convertible. Took my brother and me to Panama City Beach with the top down the whole way. It rained in a couple of places and she left the top down and kept driving. I thought that was so cool. We were only 8 and 12.

Later I bought a '68 Vette ragtop. Wife and I went to the Smokey Mountains - top down all the way. When we got to Granny's house we looked like lobsters. Wind and sun burned us to a crisp. The ride up the mountain to Clingman's Dome shifting gears was a blast though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 13
Had a 1971 (IIRC) MGB 3 decades plus ago and on my first ride into Boston with the top down from a city nearby put a $1000 cash folded in my shirt pocket and as I was cruising down the interstate the wind sucked the cash from my pocket and into the wind. Spent a good hour or two chasing cash down while parked on the interstate.

Recovered all but one $50 bill. Fun car but a pain to maintain. My first and last convertible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom