• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Young adult familiarization course. Any interest?

halo696

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
744   0
Reaction score
Due to recent events and the continual increase of public violence I have voiced my concern to my daughter (18yrs) that she may need to brush up on her handgun farmiliarization. I have offered to send her to some courses but it's just not the enviroment she is into. She made the comment that "if the course is like the ones I go to, older guys running around preparing for war, then she will pass." Lol. She then specifically asked if there were any courses for people in her age range and that is what brought me to post this up.

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in their "kid adult" attending a course geared towards young adults. I figured a half day course, 17-19 years of age, 50 to 100 rounds. Now I know even in this age range skill sets can and will vary but as far as a farmiliarization course goes, it would be open to inexperienced to more advanced shooters in that age bracket. My daughter has grown up with firearms all her life and knows how to operate her pistol in a safe manner but is far from a seasoned shooter. I truly feel she may learn more and enjoy it more by learning with her peers along with a qualified instructor instead of good old dad all the time.

What I can offer is the private land to shoot on in a safe and legal enviroment in Dallas, Ga., target stands / targets and hearing / eye protection.

I assume, like myself, no one is interested in spending 100s of dollars on a half day or less course so the only cost would be travel to my location and the ammo. If shooting .9mm ammo I have plenty of .9mm 115gr that I would be willing to sell for the course if you don't want to shoot your ammo. 10.00 per 50rnd box. Like I mentioned before I figure between a 50rnd to 100rnd course.

As far as an instructor goes I know quite a few certified LE / Military / civilian instructors that are more than qualified to instruct this course that I can talk to if enough interest is there. Probably can get a pretty good rate per person if not free depending on scheduling.

I figure 10 to 15 persons max, not including instructor and a couple of volunteer range safety officers. My daughter and a couple of her college room mates would be attending so that leaves 7 to 12 spots available depending on instructors recommendation on student to instructor ratio for safety.

Class dates around late September or early October. Possibly sooner if enough interest.

Feel free to PM me or to throw your thoughts and recommendations out here. Thanks.

My wife's taken the NRA Women's only pistol course offered about every 3 months at River Bend Gun Club in Dawsonville.
She takes it again in October along with a few friends this time.
Loved that course !!!
All day...on a Saturday & includes lunch. Classroom and range time. Small classes too...$20 ??
My 19 yr old grand daughter is also going this time.

http://www.rbgc.org/

I have done a NRA Basic Pistol Course with class room work as well as range time for college age and a little younger students in the past with success.

I'm a NRA Certified Instructor and CRSO, I can help out in some way if needed, just PM me.

Classes are cool and all, but sustained practice is the key to familiarity. I'd recommend 2 months of courses every other weekend with 50-100 down range each time minimum. 4 sessions total of maybe 3-4 hours each. Its a lot of ammo and time but thats what it really takes. Make em shoot til they want to go home...

Just my opinion.

Due to recent events and the continual increase of public violence I have voiced my concern to my daughter (18yrs) that she may need to brush up on her handgun farmiliarization. I have offered to send her to some courses but it's just not the enviroment she is into. She made the comment that "if the course is like the ones I go to, older guys running around preparing for war, then she will pass." Lol. She then specifically asked if there were any courses for people in her age range and that is what brought me to post this up.

I was wondering if anyone else would be interested in their "kid adult" attending a course geared towards young adults. I figured a half day course, 17-19 years of age, 50 to 100 rounds. Now I know even in this age range skill sets can and will vary but as far as a farmiliarization course goes, it would be open to inexperienced to more advanced shooters in that age bracket. My daughter has grown up with firearms all her life and knows how to operate her pistol in a safe manner but is far from a seasoned shooter. I truly feel she may learn more and enjoy it more by learning with her peers along with a qualified instructor instead of good old dad all the time.

What I can offer is the private land to shoot on in a safe and legal enviroment in Dallas, Ga., target stands / targets and hearing / eye protection.

I assume, like myself, no one is interested in spending 100s of dollars on a half day or less course so the only cost would be travel to my location and the ammo. If shooting .9mm ammo I have plenty of .9mm 115gr that I would be willing to sell for the course if you don't want to shoot your ammo. 10.00 per 50rnd box. Like I mentioned before I figure between a 50rnd to 100rnd course.

As far as an instructor goes I know quite a few certified LE / Military / civilian instructors that are more than qualified to instruct this course that I can talk to if enough interest is there. Probably can get a pretty good rate per person if not free depending on scheduling.

I figure 10 to 15 persons max, not including instructor and a couple of volunteer range safety officers. My daughter and a couple of her college room mates would be attending so that leaves 7 to 12 spots available depending on instructors recommendation on student to instructor ratio for safety.

Class dates around late September or early October. Possibly sooner if enough interest.

Feel free to PM me or to throw your thoughts and recommendations out here. Thanks.

Text message sent!

Back
Top Bottom