• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Wyoming public land hunt

kc30121

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
76   1
Reaction score
So me and buddy are starting the “pre planning” stuff for a SW Wyoming mule deer and antelope hunt on BLM land in SW Wyoming. I’ve never been to out there and other then reading stuff online we are going into this blind. I have some maps and a idea on what area I think I may want to start but looking for any info to point me in the right direction.
Anyone ever do or go hunting out there. Not looking for your secret spots but more a place to start. We would be camping and from what I understand is that you can camp on BLM land also.

I`ve done it your way in the 90s and always brought meat home. I never used guides or outfitters. If you are a good hunter you will figure it out. Go to national forest and BLM local offices and get topos. Carry a compass. Even if you have one in a cell phone. Know how to use it. Carry plenty of water each day if you are in the higher altitudes. You will dehydrate in the dry air. I always camped. Good luck, good huntin`. PS, carry a day pack with stuff to allow you to spend a night away from camp. Snow storms can move in and white-out before you know it. No big deal, just be prepared.

Wind is absolutely brutal out there. Already snowing in some areas. You'll probably need some sort of UTV or side by side or expect to beat the crap out of your truck/vehicle. Expect to get stuck. I worked in Goshen county mid july to mid november in 2018. I couldn't take the cold wind and jelled diesel anymore and came back east. Good luck!

I went on an Elk Hunt in Colorado in October without ever having been out there. Download google earth on your desktop. That gives you powerful insight into the terrain and finding water sources to virtually scout and pick a few spots you want to checkout when you get there. Nothing beats having boots in the ground to scout, but that will give you a good head start. Get there a day or two early to scout those spots and explore other so you are ready to go. Definitely make sure you have decent gear, that is no Georgia whitetail Hunt. Sounds great and good luck!

Download OnX or comparable app. They are absolutely an amazing tool out there!!
Good call I Forgot to mention that. All of your google maps waypoints can be exported to OnX. Keep an eye on camofire.com they have OnX memberships on sale regularly.

I went DIY in the early 2000's. We went to SE Wyoming which doesn't have as much public land but has some. Wyoming is kind of unique in the way they have state owned land in every section. Anyway, tons and tons of antelope. If you can't go to Wyoming and kill an antelope in a few days then you probably need to take up fishing all together. Mule deer are tougher to locate and good ones even harder. I was never afraid to eat a tag and did so 60% of the time. Of the 4 muley's I shot, they were all in the 150-180 range which is pretty good for a Georgia boy on a DIY hunt. Make sure you get your applications in March, you'll need to try to find Region specific tags as getting drawn for units for both with no points can be somewhat of a challenge.

The wind does blow almost constantly and it's very open and arid as it's considered high desert. Optics are your friend, if you skimp on anything DO NOT let it be your glass. Find the best bino's you can afford then get a model higher. Spotting scope not as important as bino's, IMO. Put the miles on your boots and you'll come home with filled tags but more importantly lifetime of good memories.

I've hunted in a lot of different states but am quick to admit, the 10 years or so I went to Wyoming was the most fun and enjoyable hunting I've ever done. You should definitely follow through. Good luck!

I went DIY in the early 2000's. We went to SE Wyoming which doesn't have as much public land but has some. Wyoming is kind of unique in the way they have state owned land in every section. Anyway, tons and tons of antelope. If you can't go to Wyoming and kill an antelope in a few days then you probably need to take up fishing all together. Mule deer are tougher to locate and good ones even harder. I was never afraid to eat a tag and did so 60% of the time. Of the 4 muley's I shot, they were all in the 150-180 range which is pretty good for a Georgia boy on a DIY hunt. Make sure you get your applications in March, you'll need to try to find Region specific tags as getting drawn for units for both with no points can be somewhat of a challenge.

The wind does blow almost constantly and it's very open and arid as it's considered high desert. Optics are your friend, if you skimp on anything DO NOT let it be your glass. Find the best bino's you can afford then get a model higher. Spotting scope not as important as bino's, IMO. Put the miles on your boots and you'll come home with filled tags but more importantly lifetime of good memories.

I've hunted in a lot of different states but am quick to admit, the 10 years or so I went to Wyoming was the most fun and enjoyable hunting I've ever done. You should definitely follow through. Good luck!
Just knowing what area to apply for seems to be the biggest challenge this point. I don’t know the area and definitely don’t now what areas to apply for. We want a area that will give us good chance of getting drawn while still having a pretty good chance of filling those tags. I’m not afraid of hiking a long way in and don’t have any interest in road hunting.

Back
Top Bottom