• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WWII 1911-search for grandfather's gun

karatekid

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
22   0
Reaction score
I need some help. I am looking for my grandfather's WW2 service 1911 (may be an A1 model?). I do not know much about the history of surplus firearms. I have the Serial No., year, and make. Is there a way to see if it is in storage or out on the market?

I would love some general info and/or specific tips to help my search.

Thanks

Sorry but if you only have the model and serial number info, there is absolutely no way to find out where that gun is. It may be lost, destroyed, or in someone's own collection.

Yeah, sure seems hopeless. Did/Does the gov. destroy/store/sell them? Where can I learn more?
I am sure someone here can answer this better than I can but from what I understand most of the time military firearms are sent to other allied countries for a host of different reasons. A lot are stored/issued to our personnel but once they become outdated or are no longer serviceable they are deemed gov. surplus and are usually sent to countries in need.

Sometimes those guns get sent back to the US, unusual but it did happen fairly recently where a load of M1 Garand's came back from the Philippines. These guns are channeled though a place called the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). This agency is authorized by the US Gov to re-service and sell US surplus guns to the public. I think some 1911's were in the mix too but they fetched high prices, I think over 1000 bucks. The guns that came back were in good to fair to unusable shape, you gotta think once these guns make it back here, they are worn the hell out.

Not sure if that answers your question but just what I know on the topic.

I am sure someone here can answer this better than I can but from what I understand most of the time military firearms are sent to other allied countries for a host of different reasons. A lot are stored/issued to our personnel but once they become outdated or are no longer serviceable they are deemed gov. surplus and are usually sent to countries in need.

Sometimes those guns get sent back to the US, unusual but it did happen fairly recently where a load of M1 Garand's came back from the Philippines. These guns are channeled though a place called the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program). This agency is authorized by the US Gov to re-service and sell US surplus guns to the public. I think some 1911's were in the mix too but they fetched high prices, I think over 1000 bucks. The guns that came back were in good to fair to unusable shape, you gotta think once these guns make it back here, they are worn the hell out.

Not sure if that answers your question but just what I know on the topic.
I didn't know most of that, thanks for the input.

Back
Top Bottom