• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would someone please school me on ar10s...

ToyotaDude22

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
195   0
Reaction score
Hey guys

Long time member here who is finally building my first .308 AR. Ive had and built plenty of ar-15s, which is easy, because just about everything is compatible. But I am quickly finding out a .308 is not so straight forward. Some of these might be stupid questions. Thats fine. Just answer them or move on, please.

I ordered this receiver set - https://www.rainierarms.com/atx-armory-jak-10-ar10-receiver-set/

It is listed as a DPMS High Profile. I ordered a Fortis handguard to go with it, which is also marked as a DPMS High Profile. Would this be considered an AR10, LR308, AR308, or something else? If I understand correctly, the DPMS style rifles are referred to as LR308, but could use some clarity on it.

Second, what other parts are effected by the high vs low profile differentiation? Will the barrel need to be specific? Gas system?

I am wide open to suggestions in terms of build manufacturers. I would like something that is reliable as this will be my primary hunting rifle. I am between a 16 or 18 inch barrel. Please feel free to recommend any BCG and barrel combos. Any proven mock ups on there that care to share their build specs?

Thanks everyone! and Happy 4th!

LR308 has a gentle curve where the receiver transitions from the rear take down pin to the buffer tube. AR10s are more angular in this area. Barrel nuts are not interchangeable between the two. The only thing that is effected by height profile is the mating of the rails on the upper and hand guard. Barrels are specific to LR308 and AR10, as are magazines. You will need a DPMS style barrel, since the barrel extensions on AR10 barrels are different. BCGs are specific as well, and vary in length. You "should" need a gen 1 DPMS style BCG for this upper. Your safest bet is to contact the manufacturer and get the rundown on any specifics that their receivers require. Some manufacturers interchange AR10 and DPMS LR308 as being the same. They are not, so always check the specs on the item, as they may be unintentionally mislabeled.

^^^ yup this

Honestly, I would probably just save my beans until I could buy the whole rifle. Since there's no thing as milspec for this platform, there is variance even between different manufacturers.

I built my first one several years ago, this is what I found out.....correct me if I am wrong.
PSA style AR10..AR308 is different from the DPMS308 (LR308) style. Most parts will not interchange between the two.
I ordered parts kit from AREO, good people and will help you. There are differences between the gen1 and gen2, both styles. Yes even the mags will not work in each other, (lr vs ar).
The FCG on both are simular to each other and the AR15, some small parts will not interchange.
BCGs will not interchange. As stated before neither are mil spec. If you build a upper I would head space the barrel, remember not mil spec. If you order a complete upper make sure they headspace and test fire. Stripped lower, like I said almost the same as ar15 on assembly.
My home built AERO runs nice and eats anything I feed it through lr308 mags.
Hope this helps some.

My very basic understanding is that there are two primary patterns/models/versions:

DPMS and Armalite

From there each manufacturer adds their own touches.

Back
Top Bottom