• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Woodstock Area

There's a guy that lives off of sandy plains that I have dealt with on here before. I haven't seen him around in a while though. I'll reach out to him and let him know you're looking.

A turret press and a single stage. You should be able to stay out of trouble with those.

Just start on the single stage and you will be fine. Someone should be able to get you started. Settle on a cartridge you want to start on.

I'd like to reload 9mm, 40, 45, 270Win, 7mm Rem Mag, and maybe some others. I know I have dies for the 9mm & 45. There are several other dies that I have no idea what they are. The only reason I know I have those two is because there is a whole bunch of brass and projectiles for those two and I remember that because I own those calibers. I also know there are dies for 223 because that USPS box on the bench is either 500 or 1000 brass 223 cases still in the plastic shipping wrapper. The rifle calibers would be later on and I'd also like to learn how to load shotgun shells. Mainly older 20ga as I inherited my grandad's old Remington pump and it doesn't like modern ammo. I honestly need to take it to a gunsmith to see if something could be done as it doesn't like to eject modern shells. It fires them fine but then the spent shell hangs up when you rack the pump to try and load another one. It's at least 50yrs old probably closer to 60-70.

I'd like to reload 9mm, 40, 45, 270Win, 7mm Rem Mag, and maybe some others. I know I have dies for the 9mm & 45. There are several other dies that I have no idea what they are. The only reason I know I have those two is because there is a whole bunch of brass and projectiles for those two and I remember that because I own those calibers. I also know there are dies for 223 because that USPS box on the bench is either 500 or 1000 brass 223 cases still in the plastic shipping wrapper. The rifle calibers would be later on and I'd also like to learn how to load shotgun shells. Mainly older 20ga as I inherited my grandad's old Remington pump and it doesn't like modern ammo. I honestly need to take it to a gunsmith to see if something could be done as it doesn't like to eject modern shells. It fires them fine but then the spent shell hangs up when you rack the pump to try and load another one. It's at least 50yrs old probably closer to 60-70.

The shotgun could be the ejector. Might want to try different shells as well. I have 5 shotguns and they all have one ammo they don't like.

Good luck with your new endeavor. I'm hoping to give it a whirl before to long

Start with one caliber till you get the routine down. Settle on the powder and primer you want to use and what bullet profile and weight. I started on 38sp then moved to 45acp. Both low pressure rounds compared to the others you mentioned.

Do not load up hundreds before you test fire them. OAL, powder charge, type of crimp, etc are all variables that must be set and checked for function.

A chronograph is nice to have, though I loaded for 20 years before I got one.

Do you have a loading tray? Pretty much have to have one on a single stage press.

The shotgun could be the ejector. Might want to try different shells as well. I have 5 shotguns and they all have one ammo they don't like.

Good luck with your new endeavor. I'm hoping to give it a whirl before to long
Thank you. I honestly haven't shot the 20ga since my granddad passed. I just remember back in the late 90's going to dove shoots with him and the shells giving him issues. Plus when my Uncle brought it to me he told me it doesn't like modern ammo. I'll pick up a couple boxes from different manufacturers and see if it's brand specific or not. If it is multiple brands I'll call the smith my dad uses and see what he thinks. I'd love to be able to take it brid hunting and learn how to shoot with it as my granddad could. He was always the first person to hit limit every time we went. He was out shooting people with very expensive semi auto/OU 12Ga's and all he had was his old plain jane pump 20ga Remington.

Start with one caliber till you get the routine down. Settle on the powder and primer you want to use and what bullet profile and weight. I started on 38sp then moved to 45acp. Both low pressure rounds compared to the others you mentioned.

Do not load up hundreds before you test fire them. OAL, powder charge, type of crimp, etc are all variables that must be set and checked for function.

A chronograph is nice to have, though I loaded for 20 years before I got one.

Do you have a loading tray? Pretty much have to have one on a single stage press.
Good to know. I could start with 38spl as I have a 357mag I can put them through. I'm unsure if I have the dies for that ro not but I wouldn't mind starting with that. I have several jugs of powder and different primers but no clue what is for what caliber. Unsure on the loading tray or the chronograph. I need to pull all of the containers back out and go through it more thoroughly and send some pics of that as well. Maybe that can be my Saturday afternoon project. I'm making a dump run first thing Saturday morning (purging some stuff out of our garage).

As old as it is it wouldn't hurt to get a new extractor. They don't have to look very worn to not grab them right. Also light loads a notorious for not cycling well

Back
Top Bottom